cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for power adapter

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Here's my problem, but I don't know if there is a solution.

I have a portable power source, an Antigravity Micro-Start XP-10 that has four power outputs: Laptop/circular tip 12-volt, 10-amp; laptop/circular tip 19V, 3.5A; USB 5V, 2A; and USB 5V, 1A.  What I want to do is be able to use one of these output methods to charge the batteries on my Canon SX50 and also Canon 5D Mk.III, which both use a two-prong, plug into the wall-type battery charger.  I would like to find some kind of electrical adapter that will allow me to do that so when I'm out in the boonies and away from my vehicle I can charge my batteries as I shoot.  Any suggestions are welcome. 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is unclear what the antigravity plugs into, but if it just plugs into the car, I suggest you buy a 110 V inverter to use the standard charger for the battery.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy more spare batteries.  Make sure they're genuine Canon.  Your portable power source lacks 120 VAC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@fyigmo63 wrote:

I have a portable power source, an Antigravity Micro-Start XP-10 that has four power outputs: Laptop/circular tip 12-volt, 10-amp; laptop/circular tip 19V, 3.5A; USB 5V, 2A; and USB 5V, 1A.  What I want to do is be able to use one of these output methods to charge the batteries on my Canon SX50 and also Canon 5D Mk.III, which both use a two-prong, plug into the wall-type battery charger.  I would like to find some kind of electrical adapter that will allow me to do that so when I'm out in the boonies and away from my vehicle I can charge my batteries as I shoot.  Any suggestions are welcome. 🙂

Somewhere in this forum there was a fairly exhaustive discussion of this topic a few months ago. That's probably your best starting point. But since you're looking for at least 110V 50Hz AC, the device supplying it will be neither light nor compact. The participans in the other discussion were astro-photographers setting up in an open field at night within easy walking distance of their cars, so gasoline-powered generators figured prominently in their rigs. If that won't work for you, the suggestion that you carry lots of batteries and charge them at your home or car may be your only feasible option.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@fyigmo63 wrote:

Wasabi Batteries are typically sold in kits with 2 batteries and a charger that will work with 120 volt AC or a 12 volt DC cigarette adapter. 

I've used Wasabi batteries for years, I had the first one fail to take a charge after 3 years of usage. That said I've had Canon batteries last twice that long. 

Also, Canon recommends using only Genuine Canon accessories including batteries and chargers. 

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your replies!

This XP-10 is a lithium battery that is capable of jump starting cars, but it also comes with a plethora of adapters that allow me to run my laptop off this portable battery for almost four hours.  I thought it might be easy to do something similar and find an adapter that would charge my batteries in the field, but it's looking more and more like there's just no way.  I'm very often too far away from my vehicle to run power cables, and since I already own the XP-10 I was hoping to prevent buying a bunch of extra camera batteries and lugging them along.  Looks like that's what I'll have to do.  I'll check out the suggested thread about the astrophotographers, but I'm dubious it will have a solution for what I am looking for.  Still, it's worth a shot.  Thanks again to all you guys who replied!

@fyigmo63 wrote:

Thank you all for your replies!

This XP-10 is a lithium battery that is capable of jump starting cars, but it also comes with a plethora of adapters that allow me to run my laptop off this portable battery for almost four hours.  I thought it might be easy to do something similar and find an adapter that would charge my batteries in the field, but it's looking more and more like there's just no way.  I'm very often too far away from my vehicle to run power cables, and since I already own the XP-10 I was hoping to prevent buying a bunch of extra camera batteries and lugging them along.  Looks like that's what I'll have to do.  I'll check out the suggested thread about the astrophotographers, but I'm dubious it will have a solution for what I am looking for.  Still, it's worth a shot.  Thanks again to all you guys who replied!

The Wasabi charger I mentioned does not have the auto-power adapter attached. It uses a cord that has a regular adapter plug on one end and the auto plug on the other. It should work for what you want to do. Wasabi now has a dual charger that uses a USB plug. I PMed you the links.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check out something like this. - Power Bright PW1500-12 1500W Power Inverter

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Slimm
Apprentice

I bought a couple spare batteries and I keep them topped off in my car using a Schumacher brand 12volt power inverter almost identical to this--> https://goo.gl/N4OtCu

Just an FYI, make sure your battery doesn't go down easily as the first time I used mine I charged two batteries in my TrailBlazer SS and left them in the truck most of the day unattended and the battery ran dead. I have only had the TB-SS a short time and I think the battery was weak and replaced it with no problems since.

Hope that helps

Slimm

Canon EOS Rebel T5
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
Announcements