cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair Policy Regarding Second Hand (read: used) Device

Shotsfromthepit
Apprentice

Being fairly new to the Canon community/environment I am curious as to how I might be able to get a second hand device repaired. Is that something Canon would do? I would ask support first hand, but as you may know, the device needs to be registered and I am doing some homework before buying a used camera that may need to be sent in for repairs. 

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite

What specific camera and lenses are you looking to purchase? Note that if they are at or near say around 8 to 10 years after they were first released, Canon may have already stopped providing support to include repairs.

Also, where do you plan to purchase from? I would first look to see if Canon has what you need in their refurbished section.  That should come with warranties.  You'd have to research other places regarding what their terms and conditions will be.  I'd definitely avoid anything where the sale is as-is with no type of return being possible.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Shotsfromthepit
Apprentice

I have been looking at PowerShot G7X MK II or an MKIII. Currently out of stock everywhere I look and nothing in the refurbished area of the Canon store. Currently looking at possibly picking up a used MKII if it’s cheap enough, because it will need some repairs. But unfortunately is an AS-IS situation. 

You can check out places such as B&H Photo Used Depart or KEH to name a couple.  As of this writing, B&H has a PowerShot G7X Mark II for $514.  Quality is rated as a 9 (minor surface marks).

What is your overall budget?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I honestly forgot about checking B&H or KEH since I haven’t really shopped for newer camera equipment before. 
As far as budget, I think I’d like to stay under $750 for the time being since my photography is more of a hobby than business/income opportunity. 
I am mainly checking out point and shoot cameras because that is typically the only camera type allowed at a concert setting unless you have a media pass. That said, I’d really like to get an MKIII G7X over a MKII if I can due to the higher continuous shutter capability (30fps vs 8fps). But if I just need to start with an MKII I’d be happy with it since I need something with an aperture better suited for low light.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 143512.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

normadel
Authority
Authority

Roberts Camera/UsedPhotoPro and MPB are also top-notch used camera dealers. They give warranties, and return policies. 

I would NOT recommend buing a camera that you know up front is in need of repair. That's nuts. Repair could, if available at all, could cost more than the price of the camera.

Buy used equipment from a reputable dealer that grades their stuff, says if their are known problems, and gives an easy return policy. This DOES NOT include, ebay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, a private sale, etc.

Announcements