cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Photography Location is Boring

pilotshashi
Apprentice

Respect Camera Community,

Why I’m feeling so bore with my surroundings area. Nothing interesting to click. Any tips to keep me moving

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All great suggestions...  Visit a Park, Museum or Zoo.  Where I live I have downtown SF and the NorCal coast.

If you are really bored, try timelapse. 😋

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Do you have access to transportation?  Go downtown and walk around, there should be many things to interest you, like buildings, people, signs, food, and on and on.  Getting bored with what you are shooting can happen and to anyone.  Going out of your comfort zone can help shake you out of it.  Try some different techniques and things like light painting, night photography, using shadows, high key, low key, etc.  join some challenges on photographic web sites like Flickr.  Look at pictures you have taken that may be interesting and take them differently, closer, further away, different angles or sides, less depth of field, different light.  Change it up and have fun.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

What are your surroundings? Why do you find them boring? Are you wanting to photograph certain types as architecture? So many places to find photographs as parks, flowers, etc. Here is a photo of a simple frost covered vine in my back yard. IMG_6760 (2).JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I'm very new to this, photography is therapeutic for me it's been six months clicking my yard made me bored and feel like a waste of clicks. No, I am not looking for any certain type of click and get the new vibe but as soon I click it becomes boring and then I switch it off. Enough of grass, road, door, wall & bulbs but appreciate it I'll try macro photography now sounds like fun tho. Thanks

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, pilotshashi, and welcome to the forum!

I've found macro photography to be very satisfying. Although it is a regular part of my shooting anyway, when things get boring or there just isn't that much going on, I attach a macro lens and start looking. I photograph things that people usually don't notice or just walk on/over and stuff most just take for granted, so they don't see the intricate detail in them, like a simple clover flower. Few realize they [clover] are made up of many tiny blooms and a macro shot reveals it. Sometimes I just walk around my yard or a field, with a macro lens attached, and look for things to photograph.

I have a dedicated macro lens to do this and generally use high resolution cameras like the EOS 5D mark IV or EOS R5, however IMO the lens is the most important and I will also use lower MP cameras as well (I have a lot of gear).

I've attached some samples of what most folks overlook. I have many, but these were close at hand 🙂

Baldwins Eryngo: EOS 5D mark IV, EF 100mm f/2.8L macro, 1/200th, f/14, ISO 1000. This flower is smaller than a match head and the plant grows in mats under the grass, so most just walk on it and never notice.

BaldwinsEryngoPurple-2b.jpg

Smilax Thorns: EOS 5D mark IV, EF 100mm f/2.8L macro, 1/160th, f/11, ISO 1600.

SmilaxGreenbrierThorn-1c.JPG

I also shoot flies, other small insects, leaves, mushrooms, and just about anything with interesting detail.

Newton

You are right FLDrafter, appreciate your idea. I have a 90D with 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty searched on YouTube if I rotate the lens it works great for macro.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

If you click the images I posted, you will get better resolution of the thumbnail. They are reduced from originals to 2000 pixel images for posting, but they still have fairly good detail 🙂

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All great suggestions...  Visit a Park, Museum or Zoo.  Where I live I have downtown SF and the NorCal coast.

If you are really bored, try timelapse. 😋

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

pilotshashi
Apprentice

I live in Miami Florida not a little slightly far south of downtown life no big buildings just houses and far-driving gas stations. I was looking for any photography group active in Miami I'd love to join them but haven't found anything yet.
in this forum, if anyone knows a Photography group in Miami, please share the info "I'd love to join.

Do you have access to transportation?  Go downtown and walk around, there should be many things to interest you, like buildings, people, signs, food, and on and on.  Getting bored with what you are shooting can happen and to anyone.  Going out of your comfort zone can help shake you out of it.  Try some different techniques and things like light painting, night photography, using shadows, high key, low key, etc.  join some challenges on photographic web sites like Flickr.  Look at pictures you have taken that may be interesting and take them differently, closer, further away, different angles or sides, less depth of field, different light.  Change it up and have fun.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Flowers? Go to a garden supply, Lowe's, Home Depot as they have all kinds of flowers. As mentioned- park, zoo, walking trail. Google: photography club.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
click here to view the gallery
Announcements