cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Photography Location is Boring

pilotshashi
Apprentice

Respect Camera Community,

Why I’m feeling so bore with my surroundings area. Nothing interesting to click. Any tips to keep me moving

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All great suggestions...  Visit a Park, Museum or Zoo.  Where I live I have downtown SF and the NorCal coast.

If you are really bored, try timelapse. 😋

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Do you have access to transportation?  Go downtown and walk around, there should be many things to interest you, like buildings, people, signs, food, and on and on.  Getting bored with what you are shooting can happen and to anyone.  Going out of your comfort zone can help shake you out of it.  Try some different techniques and things like light painting, night photography, using shadows, high key, low key, etc.  join some challenges on photographic web sites like Flickr.  Look at pictures you have taken that may be interesting and take them differently, closer, further away, different angles or sides, less depth of field, different light.  Change it up and have fun.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

If the 50mm f1.8 is your only lens, you're working in a slightly telephoto range with the 90D's crop sensor. The camera's field of view is a bit narrower than what you see with just your eyes. Adding something like the EF-S 10-18mm lens may open up a whole new way of looking at your subjects. Landscapes will look more naturally expansive. Shooting buildings or other objects up close will show a more dramatic perspective. And you won't have to back up as far to get your subject fully in the frame. Keep the "Rule Of Thirds" in mind to keep your shots from looking too, ummm, boring.

Also think about all the places you go where you wouldn't normally bring your camera. I'm talking about public places like parks, street fairs, farmers' markets, auctions, car shows, free outdoor concerts, carnivals, food trucks, yard sales, etc. Bring your camera next time. Shoot crafts, artists, foods, street scenes, colorful costumes or performers. Or if you're feeling especially brave, ask a friendly looking group of strangers if they would pose for a group photo. More often than not they'll usually co-operate, especially if you offer to email them a copy of the shots.

Come to think of it, I need to get out more and follow own recommendations.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

There have been a sackful of suggestions but I remembered a writer's conference in Oxford, MS a few years ago. The wife was to take a side trip to the University of Mississippi campus to view the architecture and their noted gardens. College campus might be worthwhile.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

pilotshashi,

Another field I find kind of fascinating is photographing models; not the fashion kind, but toy soldiers or superhero action figures.

I don't do any of that myself, but I still find it fascinating.

By changing your perspective, you can make toy cars or toy figures look huge and put them in all kinds of challenging situations.

Steve Thomas 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements