cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here.. 7d mark ii vs rebel t7i! Wildlife

b1gb2olo
Contributor

Not sure if this is the right place to post this! Recently bought a Canon rebel T7i... really into wildlife and birds!!! Was considering selling and buying a 7d ii 

Is this a wise decision? I know the 7d is older but has a faster fps

but will the lower MP cause an issue?

51 REPLIES 51

@b1gb2olo wrote:
Thank you so much for the advice. I think I’ll go with the Sigma. I was going to use eBay since I’m on a budget but I’m going to wait until after this virus. What does the charging dock do? I did see that online

Some lenses now have such complex electronics that they actually have modifiable firmware. The dock allows you to install firmware updates in Sigma lenses that have that feature.

A few Canon lenses also have modifiable firmware, Canon doesn't make a dock, but a few Canon cameras (I believe the 5D Mk IV is one) have the ability to install firmware updates in those lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@b1gb2olo wrote:
Thank you so much for the advice. I think I’ll go with the Sigma. I was going to use eBay since I’m on a budget but I’m going to wait until after this virus. What does the charging dock do? I did see that online

The Sigma Dock device is not a charger.  It is an USB interface that allows you to update the firmware in the lens.  It also allows you to perform AFMA, Auto Focus Micro Adjustments.  What's that?  It allows you to tune the combination of camera and lens so that you can realize the sharpest focus.  Canon's more advanced camera bodies have AFMA built-in.

Of course, everything in life comes with a price.  There is no such thing as a free lunch, or having your cake and eating it, too.  The price you pay for using a third party, non-Canon lens is that Canon's DPP Software does not perform lens calibration on third party lenses.  The Sigma 150-600mm "C" needs lens correction applied to its' images, as do all of the 150-600mm lenses currently out there on the market.

Be aware that Photoshop Elements will not perform lens correction, either, not on any lens!.  It used to, though.  This has been the case ever since Adobe moved to the software subscription model from a perpetual license product model a couple of years ago.

Judging from your IG images, you may want to consider the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM if you will be mostly shooting from a tripod, using a fixed camera position like the bird feeder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I think I’ll go with the Sigma. I was going to use eBay since I’m on a budget but I’m going to wait until after this virus. What does the charging dock do? I did see that online"

My personal opinion here is;

Buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 over the Siggy.  Each new model comes out with slightly better specs. The Tamron is the best consumer super zoom as of today.  It also has the dock. I have had or I currently have every one of the super sooms. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Sigam C but if you buy new get the Tamron.

As to buying used, these super zooms are a good choice. They are not easy to use and require a learning curve. Some people are not willing to put in the time and sell them off.  Relatively unused and in great condition.  With these super zooms and your T7i you are talking some serious FL (focal length) 600mm = nearly a 1000mm FL equivalent for your camera.

How I use mine;

I use Av mode and usually set it to f8.  Just the center focus point.  One shot.  ISO from 800 to 3200. Always Raw format. Try to keep SS at or over 1/1000.  These super zooms do well wide open so you can set Av to f5.6 or f6.3 if conditions warrant. Remember noise you can deal with, OOF (out of focus) you can't.

There are other used outlets beside ebay but ebay is pretty safe. Use Paypal, too.  Like I say some folks just give up on theses big lenses and sell them off just to get rid of them. Conditions as they are seems to be a great time to get a new lens and enjoy it since you can't do much else safely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh wow I havent seen anyone recommending the Tamron! ill have to look into that!

what do you mean by 1000mm FL

Since you're using an APS-C camera, it has a crop factor of 1.6. So in terms of field of view, the 600mm value will behave as a 960mm value on a full frame camera. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

"what do you mean by 1000mm FL"

Some years ago when the smaller sensor came out, Rebels and the 7 series, somebody coined a misleading and confusing term "crop factor'.  No camera has a crop factor just as you get larger sensors like medium format don't have a "wide angle factor".  And with MF cameras nobody thought it was a good idea to create one.

However back to you and the 150-600mm super zoom lens, if you compared that lens to your T7i and somebodies so called  full frame (FF) camera, you would notice a larger subject.  It is because the angle of view (AOV) is reduced on a smaller sensor camera like the T7i.  And yes it is free extra telephoto. Nothing is cropped, You still see exactly what your picture will be in your view finder or LCD live view. In this sense all cameras no matter what size sensor they have are FF cameras.

At the moment the Tamron is the newest. That is my reason for recommending right now.  The G2 version, current model, is the best of the bunch.  In reality all of the 150-600mm super zooms are good.  You wouldn't go real wrong with any of them.

In fact there was an older Sigama model the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens which has become really cheap on the use market.  While not up to the current IQ levels it is still darn good. If you find one do check it out very carefully as there were some that had issues but get a good copy and you have a really good super zoom lens.

I use the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  It is an older design but fits my needs well. Here is my rig.

150-600.jpg

This is not the Sigma "C" model. It is the "S" version. It is very heavy and extremely well built.

EB

Ok Ok I think I understand correctly

So i actually ended up going with a cannon 400m prime lens
It should be here by the end of the week!! 🙂 cant wait to try it out

@b1gb2olo wrote:
Ok Ok I think I understand correctly

So i actually ended up going with a cannon 400m prime lens
It should be here by the end of the week!! 🙂 cant wait to try it out

Prices for used ones seem fall just within your budget.  I am sure you will enjoy using it.  Canon L glass can be addictive.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... i actually ended up going with a cannon 400m prime lens"

Wonderful, it is a great lens and a good choice. It is light and handy. Easily hand holdable.  Very good IQ, too. I love mne.

EB

"... I think I understand correctly"

You do understand on your camera you will see a equivalency to a FF of 640mm by using the 400mm prime. Put more clearly you will see an AOV that a FF user would see using s 640mm lens.  Free telephoto!  However, understand you need to treat it like a 640mm lens.  Meaning, SS needs to be at or above 1/640 or basically 1/1000 since you don't have 1/640 available.  ALways favoring the higher closest SS.

Do you have a good tripod?  You need one. It will allow much more flexibility in SS.

EB
Announcements