cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the cruisers

John_SD
Whiz

When you guys go on cruises, do you bring your DSLRs and a lens or two, or do you stick with the phone or a small PowerShot type of camera? 

We are planning a 7-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera, hitting Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, and I was thinking of bringing my T6 and the 18-135mm STM lens. What do you cruisers recommend? 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 18-135 is a great choice.  You may want to think about a lens for shooting indoors without a flash, or outdoors at night.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 18-135 is a great choice.  You may want to think about a lens for shooting indoors without a flash, or outdoors at night.

Thanks, Waddizzle. I have the EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM lens. I'll bring that as well for indoor photography. 

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Thanks, Waddizzle. I have the EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM lens. I'll bring that as well for indoor photography. 

[EDIT] That'll work.

The wider the aperture, all the better.  You will want something for low light.  Your built-in flash only has a range of 8-10 feet.  Using it as your primary light source will create photos that looks like someone turned on a big flashlight.  However, the built-in flash works quite well as a fill flash, but again you will have the same reach of 8-10 feet..

Your camera has one cross-type AF point, the center AF point.  When you use an f/2.8 or faster lens, then that AF point will become more sensitive and more accurate, due to the simple fact that the f/2.8 aperture is letting in more light to the AF sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

One thing I thought about, but never attempted was to go to the stern of the ship and try to capture either the phospheresecent wake or just a dark-sky shot, with a tripod obviously.

I went to scope it out once, but was unsure whether the vibration would cause issues. The 24mm would do nicely for that, I think.

Greetings,

We are big Viking River "Cruisers".  Rhine, Danube, Russia and are going to Alaska next (first ocean ship)

I normally bring 3 lenses.  2 are primary and one back up.  For day carry I use a black rapids sports breathe and my Sigma 24-70.  If the weather is bad, I use a Lowenpro x250 sling pack which is very water resistant. 

For the Alaska trip, I'll bring my 24-70 and 70-200L.  I plan to bring a tripod as well for Glacier photography.  I usually get there's the "camera guy", but I share my photos with folks in the lounge evenings before dinner.  The people who are less mobile really appreciate this.  Oh, ya..  I bring a yoga laptop too and several memory cards.  I keep 2 copies of all photos (card and laptop) every night.  Bringing your equipment and carrying your gear doesn't have to be a hassle, if you buy the right stuff.  With my sports breathe, I have both hands to look at maps, eat and hold my wife's hand if I want.     

I'm kind of extreme, but the memories are all you have when you get home.  Pictures are a great way to relive some of the best moments of your trips.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...do you bring your DSLRs and a lens or two,..."

My camera, even two cameras, and several lenses go with me everywhere. Certainly on a cruise. I have a select range of FL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements