cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing conversations?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have posted a question on the worth of Photobucket...twice and they have never appeared here. I even searched with the key word and still nothing. Any ideas?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

The automod flagged them as spam because of using all caps and wildcards in the URL names. It looks "phishy." I'll release them from the quarantine. 

Hmmm. All caps? I have had the situation of hitting the caps key but I always review and correct spelling before posting. Wild cards? Define, please. I assume you will release the posts as written. Thanks for the reply.

John

There was only one that I was able to find - I released it.

This is what I assume tripped up the spam filter:

Stephen_0-1696185399993.png
While I know what you're doing, the bot didn't, so it just removed it. 

FYI, that is how it appreared on my credit card statement. I was noting how they refused to refund my money. Now, how about the second one I sent?

John

Stephen, many thanks for your help explaining the situation. Might help others in the future to prevent a conversation from being flagged. BTW, wild card???

John

A "wild card" is a term used in computer searches. Most commonly, it's an asterisk (*), but sometimes it can be a question mark (?), a dot (.), an X... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. They're kind of like variables in algebra. They're advanced ways to search. It's very helpful when you're looking for a specific file. For example - you know you took a series of photos on a certain day, and you know that you imported them using the date. You can search with "*07042023.*" that will return all files with names with "anything07042023.anything" in the results. 

I learnt some interesting stuff about letter cases and reading.   A study indicated that the average adult reads at the level of a 10 year-old.   When I first saw this I rather assumed that this was biased towards people with reading challenges, those of a foreign language etc. But it actually includes academics, politicians, doctors(!) and other highly educated and supposedly skilled readers.   It turns out that this is because we scan words rather than actually read them letter-by-letter.

When we are first learning to read, we recognize and spell out each letter to establish the word in print. As we get older, we recognize the combinations of letters that form words by their various up and down strokes, and curves, and it is at this level we read as adults.

However if we see word written in ALL CAPS, that method of scanning fails, and we are forced back into a slower reading mode again.  This is used in the printing industry for headlines and other short phrases were we want to slow the reader down and create emphasis - it's apparently known as shrieking in the publishing world.

However, if large bodies of text are in all-caps, then we revert to scanning again, but our comprehension level drops by at least one year, often two.  This was a problem in early IT systems that had simplified alphabets and everything was typed in caps - I worked with such a system for logging and recording resolutions to system faults and failures, and it was quite tiring to have to deal with en masse.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Stephen
click here to view the gallery
Announcements