cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Camera - Not Covered by Carepak

pgomez98
Apprentice

I had a bad experience with my first Camera (water damage), so I decided to buy Carepak the second time around. 6 months after using the camera, I sent it for the anual clean up. Only I sent it to a wrong address (my mistake entirely). 

The camera is now lost, I have not been able to recuperate it from the place I sent it by mistake. The unfortunate thing, on top of losing my camera,  is that Carepak does not cover a camera loss, and the Carepak service is not transferable from the R7 that I lost, so I also have 2 plus years of a service paid that I wont be able to use.Seems like I needed to have a Carepak and another insurance to cover the loss of the camera

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
When you signed up for the care pack did you read the conditions, and was that limit clearly stated in them? 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor, thanks !

I read them, yes, not a detailed read. I wanted to make sure that I'd be covered from damages. I understand that it doesn't cover it. My argument is a bit more around a couple of points. It makes little sense to me that they change the camera if it is damaged, but not if I lose it. The second one is that I have read somewhere that the carepak was transferable, but I understand now, that this applies If I sell the camera. If I have to buy a new camera now (even if it is the same model), I have a paid carepak service that I would not be able to use, so I have to buy another one  to have the camera covered. 

The experience with carepak, has been less than stellar. It makes me think about buying an insurance somewhere else other than Canon.

Thank you for your response.
Give the Care Pack does not cover your situation, do you have chattels insurance that you can claim against instead?  I don't live in the US, but if something like that happened to me, I could make a claim.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

CarePaks are excellent protection, and offer repair in many types of situations.  They even cover damage incurred during scuba diving.  Where do you get coverage like that, only Canon 😍

CarePaks cover defects and damage caused by accidents.  Canon will happily repair or replace at their discretion a covered device.  You do have to give them something to repair.  Unfortunately, a total loss or theft is not covered by CarePak. 

Yours is an unfortunate story.  Had the device reached the repair facility, I'm sure the outcome would have been different.  A CarePak is a service contract.  Its not an insurance policy.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@pgomez98 wrote:

I had a bad experience with my first Camera (water damage), so I decided to buy Carepak the second time around. 6 months after using the camera, I sent it for the anual clean up. Only I sent it to a wrong address (my mistake entirely). 

The camera is now lost, I have not been able to recuperate it from the place I sent it by mistake. The unfortunate thing, on top of losing my camera,  is that Carepak does not cover a camera loss, and the Carepak service is not transferable from the R7 that I lost, so I also have 2 plus years of a service paid that I wont be able to use.Seems like I needed to have a Carepak and another insurance to cover the loss of the camera

When you purchase a replacement camera call Canon directly and speak to a real person. They may be able to do something for you relative to the new camera and some credit for the CarePak from the lost camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Yes, check your homeowner's policy as it might be covered there. However, do you have the model and serial number recorded anywhere? FWIW, anytime I buy something like a camera, laptop, etc. I make sure I can document with that data plus a receipt attached to the manual, in a file or with relevant paperwork (I'm a fanatic about that).

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Sorry to hear about this.

I do wonder what would happen in the opposite situation of Canon shipping the repaired item back to you, but that gets lost in shipping.

When you shipped the item to Canon, did you add on any type of insurance? Though that may get tricky since the carrier did deliver the item to the address you specified.

Agree with others regarding checking your homeowners policy to see if there could be anything you could recoup. And do check out John’s earlier advice of speaking directly to Canon if adding a new Carepak. Hopefully they will discount the new one since the original couldn’t be fully utilized.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All of the responses are excellent.  John's in particular as all of my (very few) dealing with support have been stellar.  Canon is a large company comprised of people who care.  They are not in it to sell you something and then walk away.  I also encourage you to contact them.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

pgomez98
Apprentice

Thanks for all the answers. I now realize this is a Service contract, and not an insurance for a lost camera. When I realized the the issue I had was that I made the mistake of sending it to a wrong place (ended up being an amazon warehouse with a return label for a rental book..pro silly move from my part ) I called Canon and explained everything. 

Amazon, has not been able to locate the package (nor are they responsible for return it)

The Carepak agent was very cordial, she did however mentioned that I would not be able to transfer the carepak to a new camera, even if it was the same model, and there was not promise of a refund. it is not a lot of money relatively speaking to the price I already lost with the camera (about $180/3yrs).  Neither there were options for discounts in purchasing a new camera.

I don't think they did anything wrong, I just feel they could have done better with my case with alternatives and customer service. I come from a Rebel T6 , that my daughter still uses, Then a 90D that I lost to water Damage, and now an R7.

My solution to all this, am staying with Canon, as the lenses and batteries are for Canon, just not the service pak. I just purchased the same camera through Best buy and got their 2-Year accidental protection plan, which seems to be exact price and coverage than Carepak. I will give BestBuy a try on their service options this time.

Thanks everyone for the insights.

Announcements