cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens recommendations for shooting airplanes

kinodmer
Apprentice

Hi I recently got a canon sl3/250d for my birthday. I would like recommendations on zoom lenses that I can get to shoot planes at an air show. My budget is only $200-$300 cad I need help finding a lens in that range. I was gonna get the 75-300 lens but everyone says it’s bad. What lenses could I get

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@kinodmer wrote:

Hi I recently got a canon sl3/250d for my birthday. I would like recommendations on zoom lenses that I can get to shoot planes at an air show. My budget is only $200-$300 cad I need help finding a lens in that range. I was gonna get the 75-300 lens but everyone says it’s bad. What lenses could I get

Look into the EF-S 55-250mm STM lens. EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM (canon.com)

Do not waste your money on the 75-300mm lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I was gonna get the 75-300 lens but everyone says it’s bad." 

First I would not listen to "everyone". Is it Canon's best effort perhaps not. But that may be an over simplified statement as compared to what? Any lens that you have and use is far better than any lens you wished you had.

When I did DSLR 101 classes I saw more Rebel kits with that lens included and everyone that had them were happy. Now I am not saying run out and buy one but keep in mind it will be better than "wishing". Plus how much are you missing wishing you had a "better" lens?

"Do not waste your money on the 75-300mm lens." Its not a waste of money if it fits your requirements. There is a guy on this forum that can show you examples of how "good" that lens is if he sees this post.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements