cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying heavy lens question

krunesa3
Apprentice

Hello folks, This have a pretty straightforward question: how do you carry heavy lenses on a body for a long shoots? I have acquired rf 100-500 and now question if it’s ok to keep the habit of carrying the body with the lens clipped to PeakDesign capture clip on a shoulder strap of a backpack. What are your thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Everybody has their preference but this is what works for me. 

I have a 120 mm arca lens plate fastened to my 70-200 and 100-500 full-time.  

I keep a black rapids wrist strap connected to my body..  BR straps connect to the tripod mount on the body using a ring and carabiner, not to the cameras strap points.  

I use the lens plate fastened to the collar as a carry handle and wear the wrist strap on my wrist.

This takes all the weight off the camera and provides a secondary point of retention.  Even if I fumble, the wrist strap holds everything. In this scenario, the camera is hanging off the lens, not vice versa.   

I just looked at the capture clip you are using.  If you have the plate mounted on the lens collar, your hang weight is on the lens.  This is perfectly fine.  Only two things I would consider.

As long as that retention lever is trustworthy, it looks great.  

This carry method also relies fully on the collar.  I might employ a secondary retention point, strap, something on a longer tether to the camera just in case.  At that point you've taken plenty of precautions to ensure you're not going to drop your gear.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would check out the Black Rapid shoulder straps. They have a couple models to choose. I would not use something that is not made for photography as a substitute.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Except for the smallest/lightest bodies, I wouldn't hesitate to use a body strap to handle it and the roughly three pound RF 100-500 lens.  When I am shooting with a single body, I use a Black Rapids shoulder strap attached to the body for most glass but switch it to a lens foot mount for my larger glass (300 f2.8 and larger). 

When shooting with two bodies, I use a Sun Sniper "rotoball" dual harness which is the most comfortable dual setup for heavy gear that I found.  For sports, I will typically have a 1DX III with EF 70-200 f2.8 mounted to the body mount on one side and another 1DX III with EF 400 f2.8 mounted to the lens foot on the other side.

With smaller bodies, use care when mounting glass heavier than the RF100-500 and supporting it only by the camera body.  Even my large EF 800 f5.6 won't phase the body structure of a 1DX III but you really couldn't take useful photos just holding it by the body given the lens alone weighs around 10 pounds.

Key considerations are:

1. Does your carrying system keep the gear safe and secure when the unexpected happens (i.e. you stumble or hit a slick spot).

2. Does it make the camera immediately available for an unexpected photo opportunity.

As Ernie noted, purpose designed camera straps and harnesses keep these in mind but trying to push other devices into this type of service may not provide the desired outcome when the unexpected happens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If I am not moving about much, then I will use a Black Rapid harness attached to the tripod foot on the lens. 

When hiking through woods and across terrain, then I will use a holster for protection against bumps and rain.  I will use the strap when I get settled. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I don't use a neck strap but instead use a shoulder strap attached to either a LowePro or ThinkTank holster - the latter actually also offer a solid belt system that allows some of their holsters to be supported from the hip.  For me using a holster has the advantage of being able to stow the camera and lens with padding and can be quickly made rain resistance via its pull-over rain cover. It save quite a bit of wear and tear from abrasion. There is room in the holster for cleaning materials and cards, even wallet and cell phone.  ThinkTank make versions for bodies with battery grips attached.   I use the holsters for travelling so I can keep an eye on the gear.

For active use, I leave the camera in the holster and it is the work of a moment to get it out when I am ready to shoot.  

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You and I are thinking alike. I also use Lowepro and Think Tank holsters. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements