cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD problem

max
Apprentice

Hye everyone, I am new here and i have problem with my canon 550 D.

after snap a picture , there are some black dots on my scren...i try transfer to computer, but the result is still same....

here i attach the example: hope someone can tell me what is the problem,

IMG_4362.JPG

the dots became blur when i change the mode.

IMG_4414.JPG

more clear about the dots.....

3 REPLIES 3

amfoto1
Authority

Your camera needs a sensor cleaning... badly! That's all. If you aren't sure how to clean it yourself and don't have the proper supplies, many better camera stores or camera repairers offer a cleaning service for relatively low cost. At the very least, get a Rocket Blower or similar, learn how to put the camera into sensor cleaning mode, and give it a puff of air to blow away any loose particles. That won't help with more adhered stuff, though.

Less stopped down (larger aperture such as f4 or f2.8) will blur them more, at really large apertures (f1.4, f2) you might not see them at all. But at small apertures such as f16, f22, the spots will be more apparent and defined.

If you want to learn how to clean the sensor yourself, go to www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com and read every page thoroughly. There is less, but also good info at http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Alan is correct. You've got dirt on your sensor.

Don't panic. Every camera will get some dirt on the sensor from time to time. It's easily cleaned off.

It's technically not on the "sensor" but rather on a filter in front of the sensor. This is the same filter which vibrates when you power the camera up or down (you see the "Sensor Cleaning" message indicating the camera is using a piezoelectric charge to vibrate the sensor and hopefully shake dust loose.)

Whenever you remove or swap lenses, avoid pointing the camera upward. I point it down or face it in to my body. This reduces the odds of things falling into it when there is no lens on the camera.

Sometimes a hand-squeezed blower (like a "Giotto Rocket Blower") will be able to clear the sensor with a few puffs of air. Don't use compressed air cans as they use a liquid propellant that can leave a foggy residue (the residue doesn't hurt anything... but it means you have to "wet clean" the sensor to get rid of the residue).

You can take the camera to a "real" camera store ("real" = a local non-chain camera store in business primarily to sell cameras and service the photography industry... not a big-box store that happens to sell cameras). They generally have someone who will clean it for you (often for a nominal charge).

You can clean it yourself and it's not difficult. What you are cleaning is a piece of glass and while glass is somewhat difficult to scratch, you do want to take care (because it's not impossible to scratch if you're really grinding something in.)

Usually dust spots can be cleaned with just a few puffs of air and you're done.

For more stubborn spots, you may need to use "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse" cleaning solution (both made by "Photographic Solutions" and every decent camera store will carry this.) The swabs come in sizes designed to fit the height of the sensor. You put a few drops (don't go crazy... 2-4 drops is all you need) and give it a wipe across the sensor. Eclipse fluid is nearly pure methanol which means it evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue.

Use a fresh swab. After one swipe across the sensor... toss the swab in the trash (do not re-use).

There are many YouTube videos which will demonstrate how this is done. It's really no big deal.

If you pay to have your sensor cleaned... this is what they'll use.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

What Tim said!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements