Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Re: Introduce yourself!

Hi, Liz.

Thanks for your suggestion: I’ll check the course out.

DSLRs are a bit overwhelming and while I’ve become familiar enough with the different Canon cameras I have, every once in a while I’m at a loss to explain the unexpected.  These cameras have so many more options to get the great photo!  I love it!

Engine fire? At 250’ on takeoff?  Every pilot’s nightmare!  Obviously it was handled correctly — you’re here! — but that’s a very traumatic experience for any pilot, no matter how long you’ve been at it. I’ve had a few moments that have given me pause to consider if I really wanted to do this for a living: had the oil line rupture at 480’ AGL on takeoff from Ft. Yukon, AK flying a fully-loaded single-engine aircraft;  three months later, I had an electrical fire while IMC, carrying a patient on a medevac, much too early on a frigid winter’s night. You keep your wits about you while thinking how to make it through the problem, and once you’re on the ground, that’s the time for the knees to get wobbly and feel a bit uncertain about your choice of occupation.

Again, thanks for your suggestion.

Chris

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II.
Super Contributor

Wrote back a long note and took too long and disappeared.

You have many opportunites to find a source that suits you to learn it all.  You'll get it, keep your enthusiasm.  Can be overwhelming, but so is flying.

Surely youll be  a pro in no time.

I thank God for ppl like you with neves of steel.

Best wishes

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nerves of steel; knees of jelly.

Thanks for the encouragement: last night was a disaster, photographically speaking.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II.
Super Contributor

May I offer a suggestion that is really helping me?  Im real new at th is too, on my 2nd dslr.

CreateLive has classes on almost every camera out there.  John Greengo (Canon photographer/ instructor, also work/s/ed for Canon) is excellent at going thru EVERY setting on your camera and explaining in detail each function.  He offers different scenarios/ different conditions and how to maneuver the settings on the go.  Once I knew what the settings did and how to work it, my stress level decreased, esp when out on an excursion (of sorts) or events you want to catch, and your under pressure to get it right.  

Its like learning CPR every yr, once you know it, and practice it, becomes automatic without needing to stop and think...get more stressed and start messing up etc....Surely we have all been there.

If you can handle the kind of stress of engine failure during a transport flight, you WILL get this.  Those disasters will make you better at it b.c now you will investigate what it was that went haywire.  (we're stil talking photos not flight) lol  we hope anyway.

I did transports for a month.  I was not the pilot, but the caregiver.  That alone is stressful, esp if patient not stable.  You had engine/ electric issues on top of an already stressful situation.  All I can say is....Nerves of steel....Nobody sees the jelly knees or the knots in your stomach (lucky for us)

New Contributor

Hey everyone!

I’m Saurabh. I’m 27 years old, and I’m a native Indian. I work as an SEO Consultant in an IT firm and a Part-time blogger

I’m happy to be here at Canon Community,

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone.

My name is Shane, I live in Las Vegas, and I have a Canon Rebel XTi that I've had for years.  My primary interest is nature photography.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Canon 

I’m Anil Kumar. I’m a photographer living in Chandigarh, India. I am a fan of photography, writing, and arts. I’m also interested in education and fashion. 

with regards 

(Link removed as per forum guidelines) 

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, I'm a newbie for travel photography, I used to be a filmmaker. I am working for a travel agency in Vietnam name Du Lịch Hoàn Mỹ. 

Super Contributor

sounds like fun making your movie and travel photos.

Dont expect much of a response on your posted photos on here tho.  The moderaters RARELY comment unless is OBVIOUSLY done by a pro that has been phtooshopped to death.

ANd if you say anything remotely NEGATIVE about them, they pull your comments down.

Im DONE with Canon after sending in my camera for repair.  THey have had it over a month and NONE of the things were done to that I asked for on my form.  CLEANING Was included, but they ONLY replaced the mother board and didnt even check if that fixed the focus issue.

Good luck. CANON SUCKS

they came out with the M5 everywhere but the US, and now too LITTLE TOO LATE for many who have gone over to Sony mirrorless.

They are HEMORAGING money to catch up, and not doing a very good job.  They are more concerned with selling me a new camera than to fix my problems.  The sales lady also was PUSHING the 80d and told me it was a FULL FRAME camera, which is NOT.  80d has apc-cmos sensor.  BUNCH of IDIOTS running the place and they deserve to fall behind.  I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CANON PRODUCT AGAIN