cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduce yourself!

MichaelTheMaven
Contributor

I thought this would be a good thread for everyone to come in and tell a little about yourself, especially as the forum is just getting started.

My name is Michael Andrew, but I go by Michael The Maven. I have been a Canon shooter for almost 10 years now and I LOVE Canon gear. 

I started off primarily as a portrait and wedding photorgapher, after a few years of working as a videographer in the wedding industry in Alabama. For the past 5 years, I have run a free online photography school for beginning Canon shooters and have have produced several Canon training videos, many clips of which can be seen on Youtube. I am intimiately familiar with the following Canon gear:

Canon Rebel XSi

Canon Rebel T1i

Canon Rebel T2i

Canon Rebel T3i

Canon Rebel T4i

Canon 40D

Canon 50D

Canon 60D

Canon 5D

Canon 7D

Canon 5Dii

Canon 5Diii

Canon Speedlite 430, 580 Ex, Exii

Canon Speedlite 600

I look forward to meeting everyone and sharing my knowledge with you if I can help!

Michael

139 REPLIES 139

Wrote back a long note and took too long and disappeared.

You have many opportunites to find a source that suits you to learn it all.  You'll get it, keep your enthusiasm.  Can be overwhelming, but so is flying.

Surely youll be  a pro in no time.

I thank God for ppl like you with neves of steel.

Best wishes

Nerves of steel; knees of jelly.

Thanks for the encouragement: last night was a disaster, photographically speaking.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

May I offer a suggestion that is really helping me?  Im real new at th is too, on my 2nd dslr.

CreateLive has classes on almost every camera out there.  John Greengo (Canon photographer/ instructor, also work/s/ed for Canon) is excellent at going thru EVERY setting on your camera and explaining in detail each function.  He offers different scenarios/ different conditions and how to maneuver the settings on the go.  Once I knew what the settings did and how to work it, my stress level decreased, esp when out on an excursion (of sorts) or events you want to catch, and your under pressure to get it right.  

Its like learning CPR every yr, once you know it, and practice it, becomes automatic without needing to stop and think...get more stressed and start messing up etc....Surely we have all been there.

If you can handle the kind of stress of engine failure during a transport flight, you WILL get this.  Those disasters will make you better at it b.c now you will investigate what it was that went haywire.  (we're stil talking photos not flight) lol  we hope anyway.

I did transports for a month.  I was not the pilot, but the caregiver.  That alone is stressful, esp if patient not stable.  You had engine/ electric issues on top of an already stressful situation.  All I can say is....Nerves of steel....Nobody sees the jelly knees or the knots in your stomach (lucky for us)

Hey everyone!

I’m Saurabh. I’m 27 years old, and I’m a native Indian. I work as an SEO Consultant in an IT firm and a Part-time blogger

I’m happy to be here at Canon Community,

@fatcat wrote:

...CreateLive has classes on almost every camera out there.  John Greengo (Canon photographer/ instructor, also work/s/ed for Canon) is excellent at going thru EVERY setting on your camera and explaining in detail each function...

Thank you.  I'll check it out.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

shane
Contributor

Hi Everyone.

My name is Shane, I live in Las Vegas, and I have a Canon Rebel XTi that I've had for years.  My primary interest is nature photography.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here.

newsgraph
Apprentice

Hi Canon 

I’m Anil Kumar. I’m a photographer living in Chandigarh, India. I am a fan of photography, writing, and arts. I’m also interested in education and fashion. 

with regards 

(Link removed as per forum guidelines) 

ducnguyen264
Apprentice

Hello, I'm a newbie for travel photography, I used to be a filmmaker. I am working for a travel agency in Vietnam name Du Lịch Hoàn Mỹ. 

sounds like fun making your movie and travel photos.

Dont expect much of a response on your posted photos on here tho.  The moderaters RARELY comment unless is OBVIOUSLY done by a pro that has been phtooshopped to death.

ANd if you say anything remotely NEGATIVE about them, they pull your comments down.

Im DONE with Canon after sending in my camera for repair.  THey have had it over a month and NONE of the things were done to that I asked for on my form.  CLEANING Was included, but they ONLY replaced the mother board and didnt even check if that fixed the focus issue.

Good luck. CANON SUCKS

they came out with the M5 everywhere but the US, and now too LITTLE TOO LATE for many who have gone over to Sony mirrorless.

They are HEMORAGING money to catch up, and not doing a very good job.  They are more concerned with selling me a new camera than to fix my problems.  The sales lady also was PUSHING the 80d and told me it was a FULL FRAME camera, which is NOT.  80d has apc-cmos sensor.  BUNCH of IDIOTS running the place and they deserve to fall behind.  I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CANON PRODUCT AGAIN

bobfahren
Contributor

Hi to All!  

I've been using Canon cameras, lenses, printers, scanners, etc. since the days of the original 35mm Rebel. There have been many upgrades since then.  The big push to go digital came about when I opened the back of my EOS Elan 7E as the film was rewinding.  Ended up losing what I believe were some great whale watching photos.  Still have the 7E but not the Digital Rebel that replaced it.

I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone and perhaps sharing when I feel I can help out. 

Bob Fahrenholtz

Announcements