Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a canon are-1 & lenses. How much would you say

ThisPickyB
Apprentice
Hi there.

I came into owning a beautiful canon
camera, lenses and a camera bag Recently. I’ve been toying with the idea of selling it all, (or possiby keeping).
I’m not a huge photography buff, but I do love
to take photos when I’m out in the world. I’m just not sure if this is over my head or not, to be honest.

If I decided to sell it all, what would be your opinion on a good number? I have looked online but don’t see any being sold with all the lenses and such.

This is what I have: (please forgive my ignorance if I show it quite often lol. I’m learning from the best...you!). Thank you!!

CANNON AE-1 PROGRAM - VINTAGE CAMERA

New wiping cloth for lens

Vivitar 75-300mm MC MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM
NO. 61962851

Tiffen 58mm haze-1 lens

CANNON LENS FD 135mm 1:3.5
NO. 220751 (manual included)

VIVITAR AUTO THYRISTOR
550FD FLASH (CANON COMPATIBLE, manual included)

CAMERA BAG W/ HEAVY DUTY SHOULDER STRAP. REMOVABLE INSERTS

Is there a way I can post pics with this post, or no?

Thank you so so much! Please don’t beat me up too bad. Lol

9 REPLIES 9

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

An eBay search of "Canon AE-1" returns 484 hits. There should be plenty of price information to study from other sources as well. You'll just have to search for each of your individual items to come up with a price for everything.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority
There is very little demand for old film cameras and lenses. 

Here are some approx values:

$80-100 CANNON AE-1 PROGRAM - VINTAGE CAMERA

$1 New wiping cloth for lens

$20-40 Vivitar 75-300mm MC MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM

$5-10 Tiffen 58mm haze-1 lens

$40 CANNON LENS FD 135mm 1:3.5

$20 VIVITAR AUTO THYRISTOR 550FD Flash

$20 CAMERA BAG W/ HEAVY DUTY SHOULDER STRAP. REMOVABLE INSERTS

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:
There is very demand for old film cameras and lenses. 

Here are some approx values:

$80-100 CANNON AE-1 PROGRAM - VINTAGE CAMERA

$1 New wiping cloth for lens

$20-40 Vivitar 75-300mm MC MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM

$5-10 Tiffen 58mm haze-1 lens

$40 CANNON LENS FD 135mm 1:3.5

$20 VIVITAR AUTO THYRISTOR 550FD Flash

$20 CAMERA BAG W/ HEAVY DUTY SHOULDER STRAP. REMOVABLE INSERTS

I think Mike meant to say "very LITTLE demand".  Smiley Wink

Even the camera bag may be hard to sell, depending on its size. Modern digital cameras are quite a bit larger than their film predecessors.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I think Mike meant to say "very LITTLE demand".  Smiley Wink

Even the camera bag may be hard to sell, depending on its size. Modern digital cameras are quite a bit larger than their film predecessors.

Yes, I don't know how that one word got missed. Too much editing I guess.  I went back and fixed it.  Smiley Happy

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Please don’t beat me up too bad. Lol"

Sorry if I am the one that "beats you up" but the truth is your stuff isn't really worth anything and is probably going to be more trouble trying to sell it than you might want. Do you know why there is 484 AE-1 cameras on ebay?  Because people don't want them anymore.  If you get lucky you might find somebody that still does film but there aren't many left that do. Agin, sorry,  but that's just the way it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I still have my original AE-1 ... I don't use it anymore but I am the original owner (a gift from my father ... I think in 1977).  I refuse to part with it for sentimental reasons.  

HOWEVER... there is a camera shop in my city that repairs these and other cameras of similar age and I happened to inquire about it's worth (this was probably at least 10 years back)...the shop owner said "a buck and a quarter".  I asked him to explain and he said "we call those buck and a quarter cameras ... because it'll sell for about $125.  But it only sells to college photography students who enroll in classes that still require them to shot film."

Well 10 years later... I don't know of ANY college photography class that still requires students to shoot film.  So even that price has dropped.   My guess is you'd be lucky to get $75 these days.

An original Canon lens would have a small value but a Vivitar lens would have very very little value.  Those were budget lenses even back in the day.  They physically "glued" element groups together to make them cheap ... but that also means they often are not serviceable.

Just occasionally you'll find someone who really wants to shoot film.  And this is a great a camera.  It was the follow-on product to the AE-1.  The AE-1 supported manual exposure and shutter priority mode.  The AE-1 Program supports manual exposure, shutter priority, or full Program mode (both aperture + shutter are automatically set).

You really need to have a thing for film for it to be worthwhile.  

It's been a while since I did the cost analysis... but once upon a time I priced the cost to buy + develop + print a roll of film.  At that time it was about $15 per roll of 12 exposures (I use 12 as a baseline.  Rolls are more commonly 24 or 36 exposures but developing labs charged per print and some cameras actually do have 12 exposure rolls).  This starts to add up if you shoot a lot of rolls and... it doesn't take long before you've spent enough money on the film/processing/printing to where you could have purchased a new DSLR for the money.  For a DSLR it's basically the cost of the electricity to charge the battery since the memory card is not "consumed" and is used over and over (sure... it eventually will fail, but that'll probably be years of use.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"...a Vivitar lens would have very very little value..."

There was a guy that made coffee cups out of those old lenses. I don't know if he is still in business or even around anymore.

"You really need to have a thing for film for it to be worthwhile."  Smiley Sad  I know.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...a Vivitar lens would have very very little value..."

There was a guy that made coffee cups out of those old lenses. I don't know if he is still in business or even around anymore.

My wife and I have coffee cups made to look like lenses. But they're microwaveable, and I'll bet a cup made from a real lens isn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"But they're microwaveable, and I'll bet a cup made from a real lens isn't."

Just another reason those old lenses aren't worth anything!  Smiley Sad

EB
Announcements