cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI-226 & CLI-221 inks

excolprof
Apprentice

I have 2 printers that use the 226 and 221 inks.  The cartridges look the same. Are they interchangeable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi excolprof,

No, The CLI-226 are specific to the models listed on the box that the cartridges come in as well as the 221 being specific to its own list of printers.  The reason for this is that there is a chip on the ink tanks that the printer uses to determien whether the correct ink tank is in the correct slot, so if you use an incorrect ink tank, you will receive an error causing the printer not to work.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi excolprof,

No, The CLI-226 are specific to the models listed on the box that the cartridges come in as well as the 221 being specific to its own list of printers.  The reason for this is that there is a chip on the ink tanks that the printer uses to determien whether the correct ink tank is in the correct slot, so if you use an incorrect ink tank, you will receive an error causing the printer not to work.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks. I had the samw question and was happy to find an answer. But this does leave me with a remaining question:  why?? If the cartidges are the same size, why would you want to prevent one from being used in the other? My 221 just ran out of ink and I would have been very happy to use up the remaining ink in the 226 I found on the street. This would have better for me and at least a teeny bit better for the environment. Thank you!

Peace,

Vicki

Announcements