cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adirondack scenery

My wife and I will be in far upstate New York this weekend, attending the funeral of my mother's cousin. (We barely knew him, but it's an opportunity to connect with some relatives we haven't seen in ages.)

On the way home we'll be driving across the Adirondack Park for the first (and probably only) time. We'll have our cameras, of course, and hope to come back with some good shots. Can anyone here recommend some "not to be missed" scenic vistas? We'll be entering the park somewhere near Canton or Potsdam and want to come out near the NY Thruway (I-90) or on I-87 not too far north of the Thruway. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RobertTheFat wrote:

My wife and I will be in far upstate New York this weekend, attending the funeral of my mother's cousin. (We barely knew him, but it's an opportunity to connect with some relatives we haven't seen in ages.)

On the way home we'll be driving across the Adirondack Park for the first (and probably only) time. We'll have our cameras, of course, and hope to come back with some good shots. Can anyone here recommend some "not to be missed" scenic vistas? We'll be entering the park somewhere near Canton or Potsdam and want to come out near the NY Thruway (I-90) or on I-87 not too far north of the Thruway. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Adirondack Park is a "dark sky" haven for astrophotographers.  

But, it is also very large, 150 x 90 miles, making it the largest park east of the Mississippi River.  Rare is the town with a population of more than 1000 people.  Most of the roads through the park are narrow and winding, and have a 40 mph speed limit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Never been there but it sounds wonderful.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Never been there but it sounds wonderful.

Gas stations are hard to find tend to close up by early evening or late afternoon.

I went camping there one time.  I've been to a lot places that are at least 10-20 miles from a small city or town.  But, the time we went camping near the center of park, the nearest town with more than a 1000 people was over 60 miles away, Plattsburgh, New York.  And the small towns are really just a general store, a post office, and usually just one or two blocks long.  

If was the first time that I looked up and could really see the galactic plane.  Keep in mind that I'm a city mouse.  I'm used to looking up and seeing next to no stars because of light pollution.  But, this area was very different from anywhere I have ever been.  I have never seen so many stars in my life.

No doubt there is lots of wildlife to photograph, too.  But, the night sky really steals the show.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://www.shothotspot.com/hotspots/?nelng=-73.2938&nelat=45.148&swlat=42.7951&swlng=-75.8187&countr...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements