cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 Bit driver no longer works on Mac OS Catalina

akthom
Contributor

Will Canon write a new driver to work with the 64 bit OS?  I've been able to use VueScan by Hamrick software to operate my Canon LIDE 600F until the new MAC OS just came out.  I have another Canon flat bed scanner that needs a 64 bit compatible driver as well.  It's a shame to have to add these fine scanners to the electronic trash at the dump when all it is is a software issue.  

PLEASE!  

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If Canon has not done it in the 10 years that MacOs has been 64 bit, I doubt that they are going to do it now.

akthom
Contributor
Unfortunately you’re probably right. I just hate the idea of throwing away hardware because a company is too cheap to update software. I’ll remember that when I buy my next scanner or printer. Canon abandons customers.

If there is a Windows 10 64-bit driver, then buy an inexpensive laptop to run the scanner.  Share files across a LAN.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EndaRope
Apprentice

After Catalina, no scans, no prints, no driver updates. But funny thing, when I initiate a scan, Scan Driver comes up as usual. Nothing from My Image Garden, which I know is obsolete and completely defunct. (Good riddance)

Hmmmm. So when all else fails and yes, I did the universal cold boot, THEN I read the INSTRUCTIONS.

Instructions advise that the default file for the Pixma printer to my Mac mini is my Documents folder. Oh. Dang. Every scan I  tried is there. Change destination folder to Desktop, Plip, Plip, (as if I didn't have enough junk there already.)

Print? I had to go back and select the correct printer name. Thunk, swish, buzz, paper and ink. 

Catalina gives you a whole new-kid-in-class machine, after all.

I haven't seen this part of system setup for at least 6 years, so I don't feel too bad. I'd rather blame unfamiliarity than senility.

I don't think I would have had any problems at all if Canon hadn't set up My Image Garden (a pain in the bazawooski) as default when the printer was young -er, new.  Why did they do that? But nice to have my printer back, and to telli the story as a joke on me, instead of an expensive disaster.

What device are you using?  I'm working with LIDE 600F scanner.  

EndaRope
Apprentice
Pixma MG5420 low end home office printer/scanner

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@akthom wrote:

Will Canon write a new driver to work with the 64 bit OS?  I've been able to use VueScan by Hamrick software to operate my Canon LIDE 600F until the new MAC OS just came out.  I have another Canon flat bed scanner that needs a 64 bit compatible driver as well.  It's a shame to have to add these fine scanners to the electronic trash at the dump when all it is is a software issue.  

PLEASE!  

I don't believe VueScan relies on the OEM drivers; thats the whole purpose/feature of VueScan.

There is a 64-bit version of VueScan on the Hamrick website.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, but it doesn't recognize the Canon scanner because it uses the Canon driver.  Been there tried it.  I've been using VueScan successfully for over 10 years and Ed Hamrick told me he might rewrite a 64bit driver that will work between VueScan and the Canon scanner but it's not high on the to-do list.  

IF I MUST, what is a good, economic Canoscan to buy that matches the 64 bit whatever?

I'm looking at the Canon CanoScan LiDE300 or the Canon CanoScan LiDE400
Announcements