cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 5Dsr and need specific instruction for back button focus settings

Nick_Prime
Apprentice

I have searched the archives here and on Utube but nothing shows up specific to my camera.  All help appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have a specific question?

Did you read the manual?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Canon DLC, Digital Learning Center, is a good resource.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

The linked article explains what BBF is, how it came about, and how to set it up.  Unfortunately, it was written a couple of years ago, so the chart that shows how to set it up on specific camera models does not apply to your 5Dsr.  It does contain info on how to set it up on a 5D3.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

Link to manual:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300018669/01/eos5ds-5dsr-im-en.pdf

Page 413 of the manual talks about custom controls.  For the back button focus settings...there's the AF ON button in the back that will do AF for you. You don't need to set anything.  What you will need to do is to disable the AF portion of the shutter button and select just metering start just like shown in the example below:

Capture.JPG

Once you set the Shutter button to metering start only, you need to press the AF ON button to focus and use the shutter button to take the picture.  It will take some practice to get used to it.

When you ask somebody else (like a waiter) to take a photo of you using the camera, you usually end up with a blurry picture because the person would not likely to press the AF ON button to focus.  One easy way is to switch the mode to Auto (green square)...in this mode the AF goes back to the shutter button.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@Nick_Prime wrote:

I have searched the archives here and on Utube but nothing shows up specific to my camera.  All help appreciated.

The answer should be in the manual. But remember that in recent years Canon's printed manuals tend to be abridged versions. For something as arcane as BBF, you might need to read the full manual on the CD that came with the camera or download it from Canon's Web site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements