cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XT Froze Up During SW Update

Cyberfly
Apprentice

Title pretty much says it all. I bought this camera when it first came out and after about six months, while hooked to my computer, a window popped up saying that a SW Update was necessary. I clicked on it, let it run and after a few minutes, the whole thing froze up. I ended up walking away and letting it do its thing but it was stuck. 
Since then the camera works when it wants to and we put it away for years. I just recently decided that maybe it was time to break it out and try to get it running correctly.

By any chance, does anyone have a primer on how to completley reload the original SW?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Fly

3 REPLIES 3

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is never a “need” to update the software on a camera. Canon will sometimes release updated firmware (software) to correct minor problems or add additional functionality to a camera. (it is actually called firmware not software)

If you had a pop up message on you computer screen, I suspect it was most likely was some form of computer virus and nothing to do with your camera.  I would think that if your camera works at all, there is nothing wrong with the firmware on your camera.

If you are curious, you can go into the tools menu on your camera to check which firmware version is installed on you camera. The latest firmware release for the Rebel XT was 1.0.3 

If you currently have 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 firmware on your Rebel XT, you can update directly to the 1.0.3 firmware by going to the Canon website and downloading the newer firmware to your computer.  Then follow the detailed instructions to install the new firmware. In most cases it is more trouble than it is worth and I would not recommend you do it yourself unless you really enjoy the challenge or really need the updated functionality of the latest firmware.

Canon Rebel XT firmware download link

56E61D4A-6938-4B55-88AC-9129890D2881.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Cyberfly
Apprentice
Mike, in all honesty I don't remember if it was a pop-up or not as it happened six or seven years ago. But thank you for the info!
I'll dig into it first thing tomorrow.
Thanks again!
Fly

".. in all honesty I don't remember if it was a pop-up or not ..."

Whatever a pop-up or not it was not from the camera.  The camera doesn't tell you to update FW.  The FW has to be d/l from Canon and usually put on a CF card.  It is inserted in the camera and you use the menu to update.  This is the best way to do it.  If the update goes awry only Canon can fix it.  I don't know if they still work on the XT. But a call to Canon Support at 1 (800) 652-2666 will tell you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements