cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark rings around JPEGs with Sigma lenses?

SolomonShawn
Apprentice

When I shoot JPEG with my 1D-X and Sigma art lenses, I get dark rings around the JPEGs. I shoot both raw and JPEG, and when the CR2 converts to a DNG format, the rings disappear. But no matter what settings I use, the JPEGs are unusable, and I can't find anything in Photoshop or Lightroom to remove the rings. Can someone tell me what's wrong and how to repair it? I get otherwise gorgeous pictures with the Sigmas.

13 REPLIES 13

Ray-uk
Whiz

Turn off "lens abberation correction" in the cameras menu, this is designed for Canon lenses and produces ring type patterning when used with some third party lenses.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@SolomonShawn,

Can you post an example for us.  I'd like to see what you are getting for my own curiosity.  Vignetting or CA, etc??  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

John,

Interesting "bullseye".  4 Sigma lenses and I have never experienced any issues on my former T6s or 6D2 (current) .  Believe I have all of this stuff turned on too.  Always did a bunch of research before buying another brand to use with my body..  However, I also have a Sgma Dock, so maybe that helped too. 

Guess we'll need to hear if this is what he's seeing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

It apparently happens on only certain Sigma lenses. Perhaps only under certain conditions too. I have never seen it either. I currently have five Sigma lenses.  I have owned way more Siggy's but have cleared out the ones I will never use again.

Unless Sigma updates the FW of a lens I doubt the dock has any effect on this. Plus I never to very rarely ever shoot jpg any more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The only Sigma I have is the 50mm F1.4 "art" and it works fine with my 1DX series and 5DS R bodies.  BUT I only shoot RAW files and I have all in camera processing turned off.

And I am very happy with the 50mm Sigma which has really changed my view of Sigma from when I first tried them back in my Canon EOS film camera days.  It is very sharp with great contrast, I have zero complaints about its output quality and focus behavior.  My Canon 50mm F1.4 was the only lens to fail in warranty and I had it repaired again out of warranty a few years later and when it died again I decided not to deal with a lens that was seldom used but had an AF assembly (internal flex cable issue) that apparently Canon cannot reliably repair. 

The Canon 50 f1.4 must have been designed in the same era as an early 1990s Canon camcorder I owned which is the only truly lousy Canon product I have ever owned and after dealing with multiple service center repairs I finally built replacements for four troublesome printed circuit style ribbon cables inside that were complete garbage as manufacturerd.  After my repair it was still working when I retired it 10 years ago after 10 years of solid service, prior to that it never functioned more than three months between visits to Canon service.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Not that it is important to this thread but I did own the holy trinity of Sigma lens the 35mm (still have), the 50mm and the 85mm. All f1.4 Art models.  None exhibited any dark rings in the photos. I have now replaced the 50mm and the 85mm with Canon's fantastic f1.2L lenses. There is no comparison. I kept the Siggy Art 35mil because I wanted to have at least one super sharp lens around.

EB

"...  I am very happy with the 50mm Sigma which has really changed my view of Sigma ..."

Rodger,

You need to try and/or buy the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  I'm tellin' ya.  BTW, it is $500 off on sale right now.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  I am very happy with the 50mm Sigma which has really changed my view of Sigma ..."

Rodger,

You need to try and/or buy the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  I'm tellin' ya.  BTW, it is $500 off on sale right now.

It is tempting, that's for sure.  But, seeing how I already have up to 100mm to 200mm f/2.8 covered with my EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, especially if I use the lens on a 7D Mark II, I do not see a big advantage when it comes covering that part focal range.  

For now, I am still passing on a 120-300mm f/2.8.  So far, I am very happy with a 70-200mm, on either a crop or full frame body.  I would welcome and look forward to a 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8  prime, instead.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements