cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 400mm f5.6

Alioff
Contributor

Would canon 7D Mark ii's auto focus work with Canon 400mm f5.6 when 1.4x extender attached? I know the autofocus will work with 1d series when 1.4x extender attached, I was wondering if it works with the newer SLRs.

10 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

diverhank
Authority

@Alioff wrote:

Would canon 7D Mark ii's auto focus work with Canon 400mm f5.6 when 1.4x extender attached? I know the autofocus will work with 1d series when 1.4x extender attached, I was wondering if it works with the newer SLRs.

Yes it will work but you will have only the center point plus 4 assists.  As far as I know only the 80D, 5DIII, 7DII and the 1D series will AF at f/8

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Would canon 7D Mark ii's auto focus work with Canon 400mm f5.6 when 1.4x extender attached?"

It may 'work' but you won't like it.  It's not a great idea. Smiley Sad  IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Alioff wrote:

Taken Tuesday with the 7D Mk II and EF 100-400 L IS II and 1.4X TC at 560mm. The AF worked fine.

A00A2774.jpg

As already mentioned you are limited to center spot, center AF point, or center AF point with 4 AF expansion points.

Alioff
Contributor
Thank you. I was deciding between 7d mark ii and a used 1d mark4.

prime vs zoom does not matter, what matters is f/5.6 at 400 mm.

@Alioff wrote:
I meant the prime lens, 400mmf5.6 and not the 100-400. I have the lens, and shopping for a new camera

The 7D Mk II will AF at f/8. Regardless if it is the EF 400mm f/5.6L with a 1.4X TC or the EF 100-400mm L IS II with a 1.4X TC.

@Alioff wrote:
Thank you. I was deciding between 7d mark ii and a used 1d mark4.

With the 1D Mk IV f/8 is only with a single horizontal AF point. f/8 AF is not cross type or have the 4 expansion points like the 7D Mk II. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I guess you can see from sample it is soft and likely what you can expect.  With super teles the keeper rate is very important because as focal length increases, so do all the issues.  Adding an extender just adds more.

BTW ........

If you are seriously considering a decision between the 1D Mk II and a 1D Mk IV, you need to consider all the specs.  The Mk IV may not have as many AF points at f8 but in virtually every other spec it is the better camera.  But it does depend on what you intend using it for.

The Mk IV with its larger sensor with larger pixels is hard to over look. Much longer battery life and on and on.  There is no way I would have a 7D Mk II over a Mk IV if it was my only camera.  

EB

@Alioff wrote:
I have a 5d marking now and looking to buy a crop sensor camera. Used 1d mark 4 is about the same price of a new 7d markii. This is why I am debating between the two. I like wild life photography.

The 7D Mk II is a better choice over the 1D Mk IV. From the 7D Mk II's better AF system, to a greater crop factor, the 7D Mk II has the same high ISO perfromance, the same batteries as the 5D Mk II or Mk III, same degree of weather sealing as the 1D Mk IV, the choice of using a battery grip to give you similar ergonomics to the 1D camera, or the choice to go without the grip for a smaller more compact camera.

Alioff
Contributor
Thank you for this great article. Right on the money.

40 REPLIES 40

"But, the colors and contrast are still excellent."

Right.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements