cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone dumb down BBF back button focus for me?

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I am trying to understadn about back button focus, but I am not truly underatnding it.

Can someone dumb this down for me?

There are a lot of people who love it and I am not grasping the concept.

I have a 7d mark ii, shoot mostly in ai servo, burst mode, center point AF.

Thank you,

David 

16 REPLIES 16

Ok, so I am going to try the BBF tomorrow.

I can't seem to find step by step instructions on how to turn it off/on.

I went into custom and disabled the AF from the shutter button and made it metering, but what do I choose for the AF-ON button? There are a few option and I want to make sure I get it right.....

Thanks.

@ilzho wrote:

I went into custom and disabled the AF from the shutter button and made it metering, but what do I choose for the AF-ON button? There are a few option and I want to make sure I get it right.....

Thanks.

Check out the article at the link that I posted above.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks.

Be sure you're looking at the unabridged version of the instruction manual. I.e., the one on the CD or downloaded from the Canon Web site, not the printed version delivered with the camera (which often seems to be incomplete these days).

Don't be preoccupied with "getting it right". Concentrate on expanding your reach and learning from what you do wrong.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree, I'm learning, relearning, taking it slow. 

I have a lot of questions, (look the answers up online or youtube, some good, some not), but as long as I take it slow and figure out what I did wrong/right, this is how I'm going to learn.

A few weeks ago at a race, there was a band peforming and I took pictures. They asked me to send them some and I did and they loved them.

They want me to take more pictures of them performing, I told them I was a beginner and they didn't care. So I agreed to this Sat night (free). So I'm trying to get a little more knowledge and power before then, but the more I shoot, the more I learn......

http://www.p4pictures.com/2014/11/back-button-af-eos-7d-mark-ii/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm liking the BBF.

It makes feel that I have the camera a little more secure in my hand.

I like that I don't lose focus on a static subject, (just like one shot, i guess).

I do like it in AI servo, hopefully my thumb doesn't get cramped.....

I think I can get used to it.

Thanks for the articles and help.

@ilzho wrote:

I'm liking the BBF.

It makes feel that I have the camera a little more secure in my hand.

I like that I don't lose focus on a static subject, (just like one shot, i guess).

I do like it in AI servo, hopefully my thumb doesn't get cramped.....

I think I can get used to it.

Thanks for the articles and help.

Like anything new, it takes a little getting used to.  I was fully assimilated after just one afternoon shoot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have big hands, so having a battery grip makes the camera a little taller and more comfortable for me to hold, irregardless of whether or not I'm pressing BBF or not.  Without the grip, like on my son's 7D2, my fingers are a bit balled up and cramped, mainly because his camera lacks a battery grip.

I like the balanced weight that a battery grip gives the camera when used with heavier lenses, like the EF 70-200mm f/2.8.  If you do purchase a battery grip, I would highly recommend that you stick with a Canon grip. The Canon grips typically have the same texture, contours, and button placement of the landscape grip.    And, any L-Bracket that you might buy for your camera w/grip will be made by a third party, and so it will be designed for the exact shape of the Canon grip, not a third party grip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements