cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As I waited for the 5DIV

Edward
Enthusiast

I was considering the 1Dx MKII.  Hoping for Canon to make these cameras more in similarities as to the lay out of the button functions and improvements. Examples:

5D MK IV: 

1. Why not the ISO selection button and the top illuminatio button in the LCD panel moved to the same location the 1DX II?

2  Why was the ON/OFF not moved from the left top of the camera to the rear right in a similar locations as the 1Dx II?  At one time it was located with the multi function lock switch in the back of the camera where it was easier to operate particularly when using long lenses.  Also the groove where the switch of the camera is now, allows for water to acummulate probably able to cause a water leak into the camera.

3.  The Rating Button may be good for photo newbies but any serious photographer would not use that button since the JPEG image in the back LCD is not good enough to rate images.  And to add injury, this button cannont be programmed for something more useful.

4. The exposure level indicator in the 5DIV is at the bottom of the viewfinder while in the 1DX MKII is vertically in the right side of the viewfinder.  It's location will b

22 REPLIES 22

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Edward wrote:

5D MK IV:

4. The exposure level indicator in the 5DIV is at the bottom of the viewfinder while in the 1DX MKII is vertically in the right side of the viewfinder.  

You can't make everyone happy. The 7D Mk II has the exposure level indicator in the 1DX Mk II location and there were many people who complained about it.

I found disappointment now that it has been released. I was hoping for Canon to make this camera more similar to the lay out  as to the lay out of the button functions of the 1Dx MKII  and expecting greater improvements. Examples:

5D MK IV: 

1. Why not the ISO selection button and the top illuminatio button in the LCD panel moved to the same location the 1DX II?

2  Why was the ON/OFF not moved from the left top of the camera to the rear right in a similar locations as the 1Dx II?  At one time it was located with the multi function lock switch in the back of the camera, where it was easier to operate particularly when using long lenses.  Also the groove where the switch of the camera fits, allows for water to acummulate probably able to cause a water leak.

3.  The Rating Button may be good for photo newbies but any serious photographer would not use that button since the JPEG image in the back LCD is not good enough to rat.  And to add injury, this button cannont be programmed for something more useful.

4. The exposure level indicator in the 5DIV is at the bottom of the viewfinder while in the 1Dx II is vertically in the right side of the viewfinder.  It's location is better at the bottom as in the as in the 5DIV since all the other information is also at the bottom of the viewfinder.  

1Dx MKII:

Biggest disappointment was size and weight and the lack of WiFi.  The improvements in noise levels were marginal compared to the 1Dx MKI.  And the battery charger; wish there was one that would charge a battery at the time to reduce bulk when carrying photo gear. And the battery live was not greatly improved.

For both cameras:

The lack of illuminated buttons is a big drawback particularly now since these cameras sensors allow for a greater opportunity of doing night photography.  Also wish that the designers would put gloves in their hands a try to operate the tiny buttons, an almost impossible task, particularly when doing night photography during the winter time. And finally, the addition of an overexposre indicator (blinkies) in the viewfinder to avoid having to check for them in the LCD Monitor will be a great convenience.  

And finally dreaming of of a Canon EOS 3 Digital with similar performance as the 1Dx MKIV; I would not mind paying a price close to the 1Dx MKII for it.  A smaller size and lower weight will similar f/sec speed will fill a niche long neglected.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Edward wrote:

5D MK IV:

4. The exposure level indicator in the 5DIV is at the bottom of the viewfinder while in the 1DX MKII is vertically in the right side of the viewfinder.  

You can't make everyone happy. The 7D Mk II has the exposure level indicator in the 1DX Mk II location and there were many people who complained about it.

And as for moving the on/off switch to the lower right, the 50D had it that way. I like the place it is now (top left) much better.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Look again!!! The exposure level indicator in the 7DII is in the same position as in the 5DIV and as in every previous 7D and 5D series. Only the IDx series currently and the previous Canon 1 DS MK 1to 4 (including the MK II N) cameras had the vertical exposure level indicators.

If you use long white lenses which normal people hold with the left hand, it is easier to have the on/off switch position in the rear right. Otherwise, one has to reach over to the camera left side with the right handto switch the camera on/off. It is not a question of happiness but of common sense and great design.

@Edward wrote:

If you use long white lenses which normal people hold with the left hand, it is easier to have the on/off switch position in the rear right. Otherwise, one has to reach over to the camera left side with the right handto switch the camera on/off. It is not a question of happiness but of common sense and great design.

Why would you turn the camera on or off while holding it in position to shoot? Don't you use the automatic sleep setting?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Keep it off when photographing under extreme cold weather as in Iceland to save the batteries.

@Edward wrote:

Keep it off when photographing under extreme cold weather as in Iceland to save the batteries.

Probably better to leave it on so the electronics keep some warmth in the camera, and carry enough extra batteries to do so.

Working Temperature Range   32-104°F/0-40°C

Because the automatic sleep setting uses power and in cold conditions the battery efficiency decreases.  I carry extra bateries inside my cold gear close to the body to keep them warm.   When you are waiting for the action, it takes hour before something comes along. Also, at times there is no place to charge batteries.  For example, last March I was in the Himalayas searching for Panda bears (never saw one) and the area is not electrified, so I had to rely in the 8 batteries that I carried. Could not recharge until I got back to the lowlands.

@Edward wrote:

Because the automatic sleep setting uses power and in cold conditions the battery efficiency decreases.  I carry extra bateries inside my cold gear close to the body to keep them warm.   When you are waiting for the action, it takes hour before something comes along. Also, at times there is no place to charge batteries.  For example, last March I was in the Himalayas searching for Panda bears (never saw one) and the area is not electrified, so I had to rely in the 8 batteries that I carried. Could not recharge until I got back to the lowlands.

You might want to consider a Goal Zero Guide 10 Solar Kit to recharge your batteries. 

Again, if it is below 32ºF, or in other words below the designed operating temperature range of the camera, the small amount of heat generated by the electronics can help prevent damage to the camera. The recent extremely cold winters lead to numerous shutter failures, particularly on the 70D.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements