cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the the "EOS Webcam Utility" a Subscription App?

Enigma1562
Apprentice

We spend 100's if not 1000's of dollars on a camera and we need to pay a monthly/ annual subscription to use it as a webcam?

I wouldn't mind paying a one time fee for the "pro" edition but come on... I can't be alone on this.

5 REPLIES 5

Cristena
Apprentice

You are absolutely not alone in this. I know everyone needs to be paid for their time, but didn't I just pay enough already for the camera? Then to only be able to use it as a webcam with THEIR software is outrageous! I am honestly quite ticked off because the streaming software I use is a billion times better than this garbage.

The EOS Webcam Utility was originally developed during lockdown when webcams weren't available because everyone was working from home. Our dev team put it together for free to allow our users to be able to take advantage of the cameras they already had. When it became apparent that our users wanted the software to do more and be better than something thrown together in a week, our dev team spent time revising the app, fixing bugs, and ensuring greater compatibility. At that point, we realized we couldn't keep devoting precious developer time and resources to an app that is pretty popular but free. At the same time, the team also needed a whole portfolio of other products to develop updates, drivers, and new software. The solution was an optional subscription model. We didn't remove anything from the original free version, but we added benefits users could opt into for a small monthly (or annual) fee. This allows us to allocate sufficient talent to the EOS Webcam Utility to keep enhancing and updating the software as new versions of Windows or macOS become available or new camera models hit the market. 

But surely you know that there are 3rd party apps that do it way better, for way less and usually a ONE TIME PAYMENT which is our biggest complaint. SparkoCam, Elgato CamLink just to name a few...

For sure!

That's why using our software is optional! Those other guys specialize in streaming - that's their whole business model. Ours isn't. We wanted to make a solution that was super easy to use without having to be a pro streamer. 

But it is not actually optional is it when it doesn't have an HDMI on the camera and we are basically being forced to have Canon software? Not like I can just plug it into the back of my computer and have it work now, can I? Believe me, I have tried! Granted I have the EOS2000D different from Enigma1562's camera.. but still! I am having a bit of a love/hate situation here. Love what ya'll have done for people in the situation, and like I said feel you should be paid for your time. But also feel that should be up to Canon to pull out if this is something they want to keep up with. Not hit the consumer who just paid big bucks for their cameras. Feels like a punishment, honestly. If Canon wants to offer the subscription.. just sell the software for a one-time, don't keep reaching into everyone's pockets.

Announcements