cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i GPS

cpc1
Apprentice

I just purchased a Canon T4i. I am looking to purchase a GPS of it. What are the Pros & Cons to it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use the GPS-E2 with my 5D III.  It mounts up in the hot-shoe (where you'd normally connect an external flash).  

You can control how often it does a location fix (the more often you have it get your position, the more battery it goes through.  I set mine to 30 second intervals because I'm walking on-foot so it's not like my position changes very much in 30 seconds.  The battery lasts a LONG time at 30 second intervals.  It does run on a single AA size battery.  I carry a spare, but I never seem to need it.  

The device also has an electronic compasss and can record the direction your camera was facing at the time you took the shot.

Lastly, it can also do "logging" so you can optionally have it store the "bread-crumbs" of your path throughout the day.  You can export these as ".KMZ" files (compatible with things like Google Earth).  I only use the tagging... I never use the logging feature.

One last little thing (kind of important)... the GP-E2 includes a cable that can be used to attach the device to a camera like a 7D becaue the 7D isn't able to communicate to the device through the hot-shoe (the other supported cameras can and do communicate through the hot-shoe) -- so that cable is normally not needed unless you'd rather wear the GP-E2 somewhere on your body to keep your hot-shoe free for other devices.  HOWEVER... you'll notice the end of the cable that plugs into the side of the GP-E2 seems to be a proprietary plug -- not a USB standard shape.  This drove me (and several other people) nuts trying to figure out how to connect the GP-E2 to the computer to unload the logs (if you choose to use logging).  It turns out... that the USB plug on the side of the GP-E2 is a dual-purpose plug.  It fits the special cable that was included with the GPS but it ALSO fits a a USB type "mini-B" plug.  That means the SAME cable that Canon included so you can connect your T4i to the computer to unload images... can also be used to connect the GP-E2 to the computer.  That little fact was not obvious (nor could I find anything in the documentation to make that clear.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are no Pros & Cons to the generic term GPS any more than asking "I want to buy a lens. What are the pros & cons."

Are you looking to buy the Canon GPS-E2 or a separate data logger? Then you can get useful answers.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Not a very "user freindly" reply John!

But, thank you for replying.

cpc1

Sorry you feel that way, Tim's very detailed answer is very informative, but no pros and cons, which is what you asked for. I have the GP-E2 for my T5i, but you are missing out on a whole other potential option, which is a stand alone data logger. More complex to use, but much less expensive. I use this for my 1D Mark IV. Since I don't know your computer comfort or budget I can't comment, but if the -E2 is in your range you will be very happy with it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Thank you for the reply.

My goal is to record the location of future photos that I may take for documenting and to be able to return to that location at a later date if so desired.

Is a GPS unit what I should consider or should I consider the option that you mentioned, a stand alone data logger a better option? Since I don't know the difference, can you share the Pros and Cons to them both?

I am very comfortable with a computer. I consider myself an Intermediate user. I would say, $100.00 would be a starting budget point.

Any insight and advise you can give will be welcomed.

Chris

If you are just looking to return to a general area, and not record where each and every photo was taken, one option would be to just use a smartphone and record a few shots. You can enable geotagging on the phone.

I use a $70 Holux data logger. Software syncs the GPS time and camera time and adds geotag data to files. Multiple steps involved, but not complex.

The -E2,is $230. It's a great tool, basically plug and play. Is that worth $160 to you?

There are three options to think about. You can decide how much "tagging" you want to do.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use the GPS-E2 with my 5D III.  It mounts up in the hot-shoe (where you'd normally connect an external flash).  

You can control how often it does a location fix (the more often you have it get your position, the more battery it goes through.  I set mine to 30 second intervals because I'm walking on-foot so it's not like my position changes very much in 30 seconds.  The battery lasts a LONG time at 30 second intervals.  It does run on a single AA size battery.  I carry a spare, but I never seem to need it.  

The device also has an electronic compasss and can record the direction your camera was facing at the time you took the shot.

Lastly, it can also do "logging" so you can optionally have it store the "bread-crumbs" of your path throughout the day.  You can export these as ".KMZ" files (compatible with things like Google Earth).  I only use the tagging... I never use the logging feature.

One last little thing (kind of important)... the GP-E2 includes a cable that can be used to attach the device to a camera like a 7D becaue the 7D isn't able to communicate to the device through the hot-shoe (the other supported cameras can and do communicate through the hot-shoe) -- so that cable is normally not needed unless you'd rather wear the GP-E2 somewhere on your body to keep your hot-shoe free for other devices.  HOWEVER... you'll notice the end of the cable that plugs into the side of the GP-E2 seems to be a proprietary plug -- not a USB standard shape.  This drove me (and several other people) nuts trying to figure out how to connect the GP-E2 to the computer to unload the logs (if you choose to use logging).  It turns out... that the USB plug on the side of the GP-E2 is a dual-purpose plug.  It fits the special cable that was included with the GPS but it ALSO fits a a USB type "mini-B" plug.  That means the SAME cable that Canon included so you can connect your T4i to the computer to unload images... can also be used to connect the GP-E2 to the computer.  That little fact was not obvious (nor could I find anything in the documentation to make that clear.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you very much Tim for the feedback and insight to the GP-E2.

Chris C.
Announcements