cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i & Adusting shutter speed under Program (P) mode........

scottjg24
Contributor

I've read through the original manual, which came with my T5i along with T5i tutorials, etc. in regards to adjusting shutter speed under Program mode.  I think that I have to halfway press down the shutter button while moving the wheel behind it.  Not quite as easy as it looks.  Any suggestions?  I would like to thank all of you guys for your very prompt replies to my previous T5i-related questions within the past month or so.

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority

That half shutter move seems too fiddly to be the only way. 

Does the Q button give access to the shutter speed like it would in all the creative modes?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you half press the shutter button you start a timer (I think its six seconds). Then you can use shutter finger to turn the front dial. As long as you turn the front dial the timer stays on. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I don't think you're on the right path here. To the best of my knowledge you can't adjust the shutter speed in P mode. You need to select Tv (Time Value) mode to control the shutter speed. What you can do in P mode is fine tune the shutter speed or aperture (the camera will decide which one) using Exposure Compensation & that's done after the half press on the shutter button.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It might be a terminology issue, but Program Shift is adjusting the shutter speed. It maintains correct exposure by compensation with f/stop change. Exposure Compensation is different; it only changes one variable.

Capture.JPG

What you cannot do in Program Mode is "lock" a fixed shutter speed. Each time you press shutter button the camera selects the shutter speed based on the built-in algorithms. and you would need to re-select the desired shutter speed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

It might be a terminology issue, but Program Shift is adjusting the shutter speed. It maintains correct exposure by compensation with f/stop change. Exposure Compensation is different; it only changes one variable.

Capture.JPG

What you cannot do in Program Mode is "lock" a fixed shutter speed. Each time you press shutter button the camera selects the shutter speed based on the built-in algorithms. and you would need to re-select the desired shutter speed.

I think you've got it right, but it seems like a rather pointless capability. If you know what shutter speed you want, why not just use Tv mode?

Maybe it's a glitch that they discovered after it was too late to change it; so they incorporated it into the manual, pretending it was a feature instead of a bug.  Smiley Wink

Or I suppose it could be a half-hearted attempt to compensate for Canon's traditionally lame shutter speed limiting feature.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I know it's been a capability in the original EOS line and may have been in the AE1-Program. 

For the same reason many folks shoot Program instead of Manual or Tv/Av - in P you are always ready for a good shot, but there may be a time when you want a higher or lower shutter speed or aperture for a given shoot/subject. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements