cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Aspect Ratio in My Canon EOS 2000D

Uno
Apprentice

Both the manual & the camera's menu show that I can choose aspect ratios of 1/1, 4/3, & 16/9, besides the default 3/2.  I am supposed to see black bars above & below when I choose 16/9, but I don't see them in the viewfinder, the LCD display, or the .jpg after I take the picture.  My photos always turn out in 3/2 aspect ratio, both on the camera & when I copy .jpgs to my computer.

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It should just work for JPEGs. Are you shooting raw, too?

Sometimes I use raw, but even when I don't, there are no black horizontal bars in the viewfinder or LCD & my photos taken with 16x9 selected remain in 3x2.  I just tried composing a photo in .jpg only to confirm the problem.   I am using a Canon EFS 18-55 lens.  I looked for a firmware update, but there is none.  I can choose 16x9 with my Nikon Coolpix, so it ought to be easy to do the same with the Canon.

You will not see bars in the viewfinder.

Note that the info for aspect ratio is in the Liveview section. So that is what the masking refers to.

I will check with my T6S tonight and get back to you.

I think I have figured out the problem.  I enabled Live Shoot & then chose to use the LCD to compose the picture.  Then, I saw a gray line above & below the photo I took.  It seems that the camera can only be set to a different aspect ration than 3x2 when one chooses Live Shoot & the LCD screen to compose the picture.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements