Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

Re: Canon T5i Battery Puzzle

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The manual background is white, so it couldn’t show the battery in white. 

Maybe be it would have been more clear if the manual showed a screenshot of the back of the camera. 

There's no reason they ciouldn't show the battery indicator correctly in the manual. If it needs a black background, just print a black rectangle to show it on. We're talking "correctable oversight" here.

It is being illustraed correctly in the manual.  The manual shows multiple bars to indicate a full charge, fewer bars to indicate less than a full charge, and no bars to indicate no charge, which is exactly what the camera does.

If you want to get technical, the manual is showing you how a top LCD display might display battery charge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

For the T5i (and probably other bodies) the LCD screen display can be changed from black with white to white background with black.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
New Contributor

I replaced the battery with a generic one on-line.  After fully charging and inserting the battery the low charge and blinking image appears on the screen.  Thinking that it might be the generic battery I purchased a I bought a new Canon battery and after fully charging the same blinking low battery image appears.  Is this a problem with the camera or the charger?  The camera is 2 1/2 years old and has worked fine until now.

Honored Contributor

@CanonVictoria wrote:

I replaced the battery with a generic one on-line.  After fully charging and inserting the battery the low charge and blinking image appears on the screen.  Thinking that it might be the generic battery I purchased a I bought a new Canon battery and after fully charging the same blinking low battery image appears.  Is this a problem with the camera or the charger?  The camera is 2 1/2 years old and has worked fine until now.

You could have a charger problem.  Are you using a Canon charger,, or a generic one?  

Battery chargers deliver charging current a fixed rates.  Batteries are designed to have charging currents delivered a fixed rates.  When you start mixing up charger and battery brands, you can wind up with mismatches.  

When the charger delivers more than the battery can handle, the battery may heat up.  When the charger delivers less than the battery requires, the charger may start heating up, or even stop charging.  In this latter case, it may appear that the charger has completed a charging cycle, when in reality is has simply shut down early to protect itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

Do you have access to a similar camera where you could try the batteries in it. Friends or camera store.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
New Contributor

I am using the Canon charger that came with the camera.  I will take the battery in to the store.  If they find that the battery needs charging it looks like I will need a new charger.  If they find that the battery is fully charged the problem will be with the camera. 

Respected Contributor

It would be best if you brought all 4 into the store, the batteries, charger, and camera. 

New Contributor

That is what I was planning to do. Stay tuned.

Respected Contributor

Ok and good luck!