cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50D

JR73
Apprentice

My 50D will not format card.Get a message card not formatted-format card.When I try to format card message says cannot format card-try another card.Try another card with same results-Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

Does the card have a lock on it?  SD cards used to have a little switch on it that could be used to prevent overwriting.  I think most companies stopped doing it.  I had several where the switch failed in the locked position, rendering the card useless. 

Other than that, my suggestion would be to simply try another card.

The lock tab doesn't actually do anything to the card per se.  It's just a piece of plastic that slides on the edge of the card (not electronic in any way).  

It's the card slot itself that detects the position of the plastic lock tab.  Typically there's a tiny micro-switch in the card slot which detects if the tab is slid in the lock vs. unlock position.  If that micro-switch is jammed or blocked in some way then it's possible the camera "believes" the lock tab is in the locked position, even it is unlocked.

Inspect the card to make sure it's not in the "locked" position and if it still refuses to format in the camera then check the slot to see if there is anything stuck in the slot.  

I have heard of people inserting cards backwards, breaking some of those fine plastic fins between each of the gold contacts, then then those getting left behind in the slot and jamming things up.  But if the debris is cleaned out, the slot and cards work fine again.

If that doesn't do it, the camera may need service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@Skirball wrote:

Does the card have a lock on it?  SD cards used to have a little switch on it that could be used to prevent overwriting.  I think most companies stopped doing it.  I had several where the switch failed in the locked position, rendering the card useless. 

Other than that, my suggestion would be to simply try another card.

The 50D accepts CF cards only. I don't think I ever saw a CF card with a lock. If the OP is using an SD card via an adapter, the adapter could be the problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements