cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 How do i take a photo after setting shutter to record video ?

StevieGMovies
Contributor

Hello,

 

First off i'm a total noob to cameras. I got my Canon m50 yesterday and i want it purely for video. 

 

I have it set up for video and i have assigned the shutter button to start recording video. 

 

Whilst setting up my setings i need to take a snap if a white paper to set WB.

 

How do i do this without changing the shutter assign everytime ? 

 

 

I know there's a simple solution somewhere but i'm a total noob and it's hurting my head 😞 

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The simple truth is that before you can become a good videographer, you need to be a good photographer.  

 

I know that is not the answer you were looking for, but those are the facts.  You need to understand how still cameras work before you can fully understand video cameras, which your M50 is not, BTW.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

Under most normal lighting conditions simply setting the camera to Auto WB will be quite adequate.


@Ray-uk wrote:

Under most normal lighting conditions simply setting the camera to Auto WB will be quite adequate.


This is true.  

 

Using Auto WB is quite adequate for most lighting conditions, which have only one type of primary light source.  Setting up the camera to use a custom WB setting by calibrating it to a grey card is a more advanced use of the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I got my Canon m50 yesterday and i want it purely for video."

 

Did you consider buying a video camera instead of a stills camera?  That would have been much better, IMHO, of course.  Just curious!

 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes i considered it ........

 

Who said it is a still camera ?

 

If it is a stills camera then why is it one of the most popular cameras for youtubers / vloggers (video)

 

 


@StevieGMovies wrote:

 

Who said it is a still camera ?

 


Canon said it.  It is popular for YouTube talking head videos because of its' price.  I recommend the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.  However, it seems Sigma may introduce a set of fast primes for the EF-M mount, just as they did for the Sony E mount.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

@StevieGMovies wrote:

 

Who said it is a still camera ?

 


Canon said it.  It is popular for YouTube talking head videos because of its' price.  I recommend the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.  However, it seems Sigma may introduce a set of fast primes for the EF-M mount, just as they did for the Sony E mount.


I have this lens with the viltrox speed booster. pretty good video quality for a non video camera 🙂 

 


@StevieGMovies wrote:

Yes i considered it ........

 

Who said it is a still camera ?

 

If it is a stills camera then why is it one of the most popular cameras for youtubers / vloggers (video)

 

 


Because it's cheap and easy to operate for guys who don't have much of an interest in photography. YouTubes don't need real video cameras to shoot themselves blathering on in their bedrooms. 


@John_SD wrote:

@StevieGMovies wrote:

Yes i considered it ........

 

Who said it is a still camera ?

 

If it is a stills camera then why is it one of the most popular cameras for youtubers / vloggers (video)

 

 


Because it's cheap and easy to operate for guys who don't have much of an interest in photography. YouTubes don't need real video cameras to shoot themselves blathering on in their bedrooms. 


I'm really dissapointed with the level of "help" being offered in this community. I would expect more from a "valued contributer".  I wouldn't mind a bit of cockyness if you answered my initial question.  

 

Plenty of people use the M50 for video outside of the bedreem. Cinematic / B-Roll / Leisure. Google canon m50 cinematic. It's a budget way of doing things for sure and i am aware that much better cameras are available at a much bigger price. 

 

If you don't know the answer to the question and don't have anything helpfull to suggest then please do not comment on any of my future posts. 

 

Thanks 

Avatar
click here to view the gallery
Announcements