cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which full frame body - EOS 6d or Mark III

Vatsala
Contributor

Hi 

I am graduating as a cinematographer soon and considering a new camera kit. Since I am also a hard core still photography lover, I have thought of investing a full frame sensor body. 

I will be using my new camera equally for both still and motion picture photography. 

I would like to know the reviews on the Canon EOS 6D and how it compares to the EOS 5D MARK III. 

I was thinking I should go for the cheaper full frame body ( EOS 6D) and invest on the lens range - where I'm thinking of investing in the L series IS USM category lenses. 

I would like to know from users their honest opinion from experience. 

15 REPLIES 15

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

There is a similar thread in the EOS forum, but to reiterate what's been said there to date I'd suggest going with the 6D for the primary reason you described: Save your money by buying the 6D which is so similar to the 5D, and put the money you save into qualitative lenses.

cookinghusband
Contributor

Video quality of both are very similiar, some user even find the dynamic range, of the 6D very very marginally better than 5D3. 5D3 is better in construction and control. 6D is better with wifi,GPS weight, price. 

For lens you can buy the 24-105L kit first. This give you a reasonably good picture quality full coverage of range that you can use in most normal job. That you can keep using throughout your life time. 

Anyway have you though about the 70D? is better for movies with the flip screen and much better focus.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This query has come up before and again, as  5D user, there is really no comparison with the two except price.

The 5D is your choice if you can afford it.

I have read, do not own, a 6D is not weather proof.  Despite what Canon may claim about it.

The 5D Mk III and the "kit" lens 24-105mm f4 is a fantastic combo. Remember the old adage, buy the best and cry once.

There is a reason the price is so different.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
I have read, do not own, a 6D is not weather proof.  Despite what Canon may claim about it.

They don't claim that at all.  Nor do they for the 5d3.

Ahhh, but the 5D Mk III is and the 6D ain't. Get over it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 6D can be bought now for $1500. With the price different round $1500, I don't think there should be any debate between the two. Like Ebiggs1 said, if you have the cash, go for the 5DMIII.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I wish the OP would chime back in and update us on any decsions to date.

@fyigmo63 wrote:

Me too.  I'm especially interested if the OP did his/her research and learned about the potential moire issues with the 6D video...  or just based a decision over the useless information in this thread.

@Skirball wrote:

@fyigmo63 wrote:

Me too.  I'm especially interested if the OP did his/her research and learned about the potential moire issues with the 6D video...  or just based a decision over the useless information in this thread.

Look like he got the 6D from other thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements