cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does eos stand for

woodenwater
Apprentice

I have been looking for a camera and/or software that will stich photos horizontally and vertically. I have seen  what is possibly out dated info on Canon eos cameras coming with Photostitch software. is this still true. and what does eos stand for. I am writing a book and cannot proceed without improving my photography. please advise if possible.   Paul

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

EOS = Electro-Optical System 

My newest camera is a 1D Mk IV and it came with Photostitch.  But it is several years old as  have not got the 1Dx bug.....yet !

I bet you can d/l Photostitch from Canon.  I use Photoshop so I really don't know much about Photostitich.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, Eos  was the goddess of the dawn in mythology.  Some say that is where it came from.  Some people say Eos as a name but others say E-O-S as initals.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Yes, PhotoStitch is still included with the cameras.  As I look at th Canon software updates available for my camera (my most recent is the 5D III) I see that they updated PhotoStitch to version 3.2.7 as recently as a month ago (7/30/2014).

You dont' have to use Canon's stitching software... there are other photo editing tools that can do this as well.

As ebiggs points out... it's Electro-Optical System.  

Prior to EOS, Canon 35mm film cameras used a mechanical interface between the camera body and lens to control lens aperture blades and the lenses were not auto-focusing (there were some experimental lenses that did).  EOS added auto-focus sensors to the camera body with an electronic interface to the lens to control the aperture blades as well as auto-focus motors in the lens.  Nearly all EOS lenses are auto-focusing lenses.  There are some specialty lenses which do not support auto-focus such as the tilt-shift lenses (tilt-shift / perspective-control lenses in general (from any manufacturer) to not support auto-focus) and the MP-E (a special "extreme" macro-photo lens.)  To my knowledge, all other EOS lenses provide auto-focus.

The same EOS lenses used in the film cameras also work on Canon EOS digital cameras.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements