cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from T3i suggestions

cas1963
Enthusiast

Hi! I’m an advanced beginner (?-!) and recently I have been scrolling through these posts and have picked up some great info so far!

I bought a T3i bundle 2 years ago with lenses EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, and  EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II. It’s my first DSLR and I have been using it a lot mostly for pictures in my garden and trying to be creative while on vacations and I’ve been pretty pleased with it.  I’m always trying to learn more with it and I recently felt that there was something missing in some of my photos so I started to research different lenses. Recently I got a good deal on a used EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and I really like it so far.

I have a couple of questions:

Should I keep the 18-55mm lens? I’m not sure there’d be a market for it but it’s worth a try.

Will I be happy with the T3i using this new lens going forward or if not what would be a good upgrade for me in the future? I’m not looking to become a professional, I just want a serious hobby.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cas1963 wrote:
I’m still recovering from the purchase of the 17-55mm f/2.8!! so the 100mm macro would have to wait but I’ll look into the 50mm which is affordable.
I like to find interesting architecture or specific features in buildings that are unusual and photo worthy, garden close-ups, scenery – mountains, sunsets etc - and I’d like to be able to take better indoor shots during family gatherings. Everyone moves around so much it’s hard to capture the moment, and I’m hoping the 17-55mm f/2.8 will help. Later on I’d like to invest in a better zoom.
I see you also have a T3i, is this good enough to keep for what I like to do? and to use with different lenses in the future?

If you like the idea of a macro, consider also the 60mm f/2.8 macro. It's also a good lens and cheaper than the 100mm (of which there used to be two models, although I'm not sure that both are still in production).

The T3i is a very good camera and should serve you well, at least for the time being. But better and better cameras keep coming out, and sooner or later the bug may bite you so hard that you can't resist.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ScottyP
Authority

About the only reason to keep the 18-55 would be to have something to sell the T3i with later. The 17-55 covers the range and then some, and it is a brighter sharper lens. 

If if you like to try new things, a prime lens is real fun. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

good point about keeping lens for the reselling...thanks.

What types of photos do you shoot?

is there anything your current kit can't do or could do better?

What is your budget?

Your 17-55 is a nice wide f/2.8 aperture and on a crop camera the 55mm is actually quite a good angle of view for portraits. You could spend $125.00 and get the new 50mm f/1.8 STM prime. The 50mm may seem redundant but the f/1.8 aperture and the sharpness and small size make it different enough to justify the $125.00. The crazy shallow depth of field is great, as is the ability to shoot in dim light without flash or jacking up the ISO. 

You our might also like a macro lens, to give a whole new closeup view of the garden.   The non-IS Canon EF 100mm macro is a good price and if you buy used it is one of those lenses that hasn't probably been heavily used. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

I’m still recovering from the purchase of the 17-55mm f/2.8!! so the 100mm macro would have to wait but I’ll look into the 50mm which is affordable.
I like to find interesting architecture or specific features in buildings that are unusual and photo worthy, garden close-ups, scenery – mountains, sunsets etc - and I’d like to be able to take better indoor shots during family gatherings. Everyone moves around so much it’s hard to capture the moment, and I’m hoping the 17-55mm f/2.8 will help. Later on I’d like to invest in a better zoom.
I see you also have a T3i, is this good enough to keep for what I like to do? and to use with different lenses in the future?

@cas1963 wrote:

Canon offers two 50mm lens that each list for $125.  Each has a feature advantage, and a disadvantage, over the other.  It would seem that if you want both features then you must go with the EF 50 f/1.4 USM.

The EF 50 f/1.8 STM has a metal connection to the camera, but it does not show up in Digital Photo Professional with Lens Correction Data.

The EF 50 f/1.8 II uses plastic for its' connection to the camera.  However, it DOES show up in Digital Photo Professional with Lens Correction Data.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DPP does not support the new STM lens???  

I don't use DPP so I am not familiar with it.  I would assume, though, that if it has corrections for most Canon lenses, then it is just a matter of waiting for Canon to add that in a future update.  I think purchasing Lightroom would be another great investment for the OP to make, in any event.  

The 50 f/1.4 is not terribly expensive, but it is about 3x the price of the f/1.8 and its image quality is not better.  Personally, I would rather get the F/1.8 and Lightroom 6, which together would still be less than the f/1.4.  

Besides lenses, other good things to own if you don't have one include:

Good tripod: $150.00 to $200+.  Do not cheap out or you will end up tossing it and buying another one. 

Collapsible reflector:  $20 to $50.  They have "5- in- one" models, but I think you at least want silver and white for reflecting.  gold always makes people look weird in my experience.  The silver or white reflects nice light onto the subject, and it is cheap and the light is, in most scenarios, color matched to the white balance of the overall scene, unlike electronic flash.  

Collapsible diffuser:  Same as above.  Comes as part of a 5 in one.  Really really really makes a difference in harsh mid day sun, and also fixes the problem of sharply dappled sunlight on faces. 

Speed Lite:  Even better is to get a radio version, to get the flash off the camera because in some circumstances head-on flash creates issues, including a flat, 2-d look and also the dreaded shadow on the wall behind the subject.. 

Scott

thanks Scott for all the great recommendations. Aside from lenses my next investment is the speedlite and tripod.

"DPP does not support the new STM lens???"

DPP does support STM lenses but the support is limited for any EF-S lens.  DPP is a "Not ready for prime time" program.  It is OK for what it does but as Scott says get Lightrom or Photoshop Elements (better idea for an amateur photographer).

"The 50 f/1.4 is not terribly expensive, but it is about 3x the price of the f/1.8 and its image quality is not better."

Again as I have said many, many times a lens is a summary of its parts or specs.  You must consider the entire package.

For instance on the 50mm f1.8 version there is no f1.4.  IQ not "any" better?  How can you compare it, if one lens won't even do it?  You can't.  Now the big issue is the construction. The 50mm f1.8 is a throw away lens, IMHO, of course.  I have tried them 3 times and decided each time never again.  However, " I would rather get the F/1.8 and Lightroom 6, which together would still be less than the f/1.4.", I too would rather do this.  He has a point if this is the only way to take pictuers and get LR (or PSE).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"DPP does not support the new STM lens???"

DPP does support STM lenses but the support is limited for any EF-S lens.  DPP is a "Not ready for prime time" program.  It is OK for what it does but as Scott says get Lightrom or Photoshop Elements (better idea for an amateur photographer).

DPP does support several EF-S STM lens, including my EF-S second favorite, EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.  DPP also supports EF-M STM lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements