cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t7i Firmware stuck at 99% all day

gameking210
Contributor

I know it was a bad idea, but I was hoping it would work. Anyway, I've started an update. It didn't work. I restarted the update a half dozen times. I've tried older firmware. I've reformatted the SD card. I've redownloaded the zip file three times. I've done everything I can think of with no success. I cannot use my camera now, it only allows me to get into the firmware update option. 

Any suggestions or does canon themselves need to tell me to buy a new camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi gameking210,

I'm sorry to hear the firmware update isn't completing on your EOS Rebel T7i. If the firmware update the camera might need to be sent in for service. There are some things to try. If you can turn your camera off and back on and still get to the menu check these steps before trying another update.

First it would be good to double check where you downloaded the update from. The firmware can be downloaded HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Drivers and Downloads button and the update is under the firmware tab. The current version is 1.1.0. Select the one that matches your operating system. Once the file is downloaded and extracted the instructions for doing the update are included in the file. Inside the extracted folder you will see the .fir file (which is the firmware update itself) and a folder with the update instructions.

When you are doing the update there are a couple of important things to do. One is that you should have a fully charged battery in the camera before starting the update. If the power goes off, or if a button is pressed that interrupts the update, it can cause the camera to stop functioning. If that happens the camera would need to be sent in for repair. The other thing is related to the .fir file. That is the only file you move to the memory card. You move it to the root folder of the memory card. In the root folder you will see a DCIM folder and a MISC folder. You would move the .fir file under those so that it shows up in the same section as those folders. If the update still isn't completing with your memory card we would recommend loading the firmware on a different SD card to see if the same thing happens.

In the instructions there is a second way to update the firmware using the EOS Utility. If you do not currently have the EOS Utility you can download it HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Drivers and Downloads button and the software to use is named EOS Utility 3.15.20. To use that method you would need to have the firmware file saved on your computer and you would need to connect the camera and computer with the USB cable.

If the firmware update still isn't completing at that point we would recommend sending the camera in to the factory service center. The firmware not updating after trying all those methods indicates there is an issue with the camera.

The Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020. 

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi gameking210,

I'm sorry to hear the firmware update isn't completing on your EOS Rebel T7i. If the firmware update the camera might need to be sent in for service. There are some things to try. If you can turn your camera off and back on and still get to the menu check these steps before trying another update.

First it would be good to double check where you downloaded the update from. The firmware can be downloaded HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Drivers and Downloads button and the update is under the firmware tab. The current version is 1.1.0. Select the one that matches your operating system. Once the file is downloaded and extracted the instructions for doing the update are included in the file. Inside the extracted folder you will see the .fir file (which is the firmware update itself) and a folder with the update instructions.

When you are doing the update there are a couple of important things to do. One is that you should have a fully charged battery in the camera before starting the update. If the power goes off, or if a button is pressed that interrupts the update, it can cause the camera to stop functioning. If that happens the camera would need to be sent in for repair. The other thing is related to the .fir file. That is the only file you move to the memory card. You move it to the root folder of the memory card. In the root folder you will see a DCIM folder and a MISC folder. You would move the .fir file under those so that it shows up in the same section as those folders. If the update still isn't completing with your memory card we would recommend loading the firmware on a different SD card to see if the same thing happens.

In the instructions there is a second way to update the firmware using the EOS Utility. If you do not currently have the EOS Utility you can download it HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Drivers and Downloads button and the software to use is named EOS Utility 3.15.20. To use that method you would need to have the firmware file saved on your computer and you would need to connect the camera and computer with the USB cable.

If the firmware update still isn't completing at that point we would recommend sending the camera in to the factory service center. The firmware not updating after trying all those methods indicates there is an issue with the camera.

The Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020. 

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

$217 for touching a button is painful. But that's the only thing I can do at this point. It's stuck like chuck. Thanks!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

By any chance are you using a micro SD card with an adapter to perform the firmware update? If so, try using a freshly formatted, full-size SD card instead.

I tried both, but thank you. I think I touched a button on accident while it was doing the update. Seems that bricks the camera. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure you are downloading and installing the firmware for your country of origin.  For example, if you purchased a camera outside of North America, then downloading the firmware from the Canon USA site may not install on your camera!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I purchased it off Ebay, but from my understanding, it was a US version of the camera. Now I can't even get it to do anything to try a different country update.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@gameking210,

Nothng bad about performing a FW update.  You do however need to perform the steps properly as noted in the posts above.  The only real benefit is the v1.1.0 FW, it adds NFC support for mobile devices running Android OS.  You'll get the PTP update with it, but in all honestly, the cirumstances for your device to actually be suceptible to this vulnerability is extremely remote.  I assure you you didn't miss anything or put yourself at serious risk not upgrading your camera until now.  I skipped that FW when it became available for my 6D2.  It's right up there with falling out of an airplane, but first you have to open the door and unbuckle your seatbelt.  

Back to your issue.  What the status of your camera? Put the camera into "M" mode.  Remove the card

Power it up.  Does the camera operate?  If yes, great.

Try again:

Fully charged battery

Freshly formatted (full size) SD card

.fir FW file in the root (top level) directory on the card, only download this file from the site referenced above

Camera Menu > Navigate to the FW upgrade, select upgrade, note the file name is correct and press OK

Don't touch any buttons until its complete

I do not advocate using the EOS Utility for FW upgrades as it introduces a potential point of failure.  Doing from a SD card is more reliable (ultimately safer).  

If you cannot perform these steps, (camera does not operate normally without a card) its FW is incomplete or corrupt.  Rare but it can happen.  Follow the recommendations for service.  Hoping for a good outcome.🤞

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, it's corrupt and will not operate normally in M mode. The firmware update program opens every single time a battery is put in, even with power off. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Rare but it can happen."

Actually not that rare depending on your definition of "rare". Over my photography tenure I've seen it happen several times. Why, who knows. Not following the instruction exactly? Perhaps, like messing with the camera while it is in the process. I always, always tell folks to read what's in the FW update before you do it. It may add something you will never use or need. If that is the case you will not know if it even worked.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements