cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendation on upgrading my Rebel T7 to R6 or EOS 5DMarkIV

Nithun12
Contributor

I currently have Rebel T7 with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Lenses and planning on upgrading to some bigger camera. I once used EOS 5DMark IV, loved it. At first i was in a impression of getting it but after doing some research i came to know about R6. Now i am in a confusion which one i need to get.

My current usage is mostly for personal use, Landscapes etc. (Not professional) 

I know R6 is latest product with mirrorless, but also 5D is very good. totally confused on what to get. Please advice.

If i choose R6, can i use my existing EF/EFs lens with an adaptor? wil there be any difference? are these lens enough for now or need to get any new lens?

-Nithun 

43 REPLIES 43

While I respect Dimetrius' advice, I wonder if he is considering your immediate budget restrictions: "My current budget is around $3000 which includes couple lens for my daily use (one short lens for portraits, second for zoom)".

IF THE BUDGET IS FIXED AT $3,000 and you want an immediate solution, here is my honest opinion.  First, if you want standard and telephoto fields of view, you need to invest a decent amount of money.  There is a trap here that people think the critical thing is to spend money on a camera - they change quickly and lose their value immediately, while lenses have much greater longevity.   The greatest camera body is useless without the glass in front of it.

Stick with the R6 MkI - it's a great camera (WAY ahead of your current gear) and capable of excellent imagery - the rest is up to the photographer.  I have shot with it for a couple of years now and i can take photos that people will pay for, so I see no reason why you cannot develop your skills with it. 

You could get one refurbished from Canon for  $1,899 with a warranty: Canon R6 Refurbished   That leaves just over $1,000 for lenses.  Within that budget you could then get the following refurbished lenses:
Canon RF 100-400 f/5.6-8 IS STM @  $519 - See Reviews HERE and From Cameralabs  
24-105 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. @ $419 Review by Cameralabs - both are excellent lenses and will keep you within budget - which is critical.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I couldn't see the OP's max budget on my phone for some reason the forum wasn't loading up correctly. But good catch on it Trevor. I would've offered more budget friendly lenses or adapted EF lenses which work fine.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Nithun12,

Thanks for establishing budget.  I haven't seen any R62 refurbished body or kits yet, so you'll have to purchase new.  The body is $2499

A few options:

R62 w/24-105 f4~7.1 + EL-100

R62 body new, used lens above + flash

The first 2 lenses referenced in Demetrius' post above are great, but are well beyond your desired budget.  The only way to come in below would be to consider the R8.  Other considerations.  A spare battery, 2 memory cards.  I'd like to also recommend a CarePak, but this too adds $$$.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I couldn't see the OP's max budget on my phone for some reason the forum wasn't loading up correctly. But good catch on it Rick. I would've offered more budget friendly lenses or adapted EF lenses which work fine.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

blazeracer
Contributor

I just upgraded from a T6i. I was between a 6D Mark ii and an RP. As an amatuer photo taker, shutter speed and battery life won it for me. We just went on a 5 day cruise in the Bahamas. I took almost 2,000 photos and only used two batteries. The second is still in the camera now! I also looked at the 5D Mark IV and with the Digic 7 processor, the 6D Mark II won that battle also. The 5D has a Digic 6. For what I do, I have no need for two card slots and a few extra focus points. Photos from the 6D Mark II are imperessive to say the least. Everything EF will fit the 6D, but no of the EF-S stuff will. The 6D Mark II is also a 24mp camera to where the R6 is only 20. 

Frankly, there's nothing wrong with a T7 either. I'd get better glass first. I got a couple of L lenses off of eBay before I did any body upgrading. All these photos were taken with a 6D Mark II and an old EF 28-80 f/2.8-4 L lens I got for 200 bucks. I had a 70-300 USM "gold band" zoom paired with my T6i and it was a beast. 

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

James

Current gear: 6D Mark II - EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4L - EF 80-200mm f/2.8L "Magic Drainpipe" - EF 50mm 1.4 USM
Past gear: T4i, T6i, 750D, 5D Mark II

First of all, I am very glad you have had a good experience with your camera upgrade, and you seem to have got some great shots.   It is important that each of us gets the result we are looking for.  As I understand it your use is for purely personal and pleasurable use, while Nithun's goals are different and the purposes and constraints shape the kinds of gear that are appropriate. 

As I understand it his goals and constraints are as follows:
1.  Budget of $3,000 for a camera body and two lenses - one for closer work and portraits and a telephoto unit.  

2. Aspirations of developing his skills towards eventually doing professional work.  If he is going to do any work where he charges, he should have dual cards, unlike your situation where if a card fails no-one else is depending on you.

The R6 is a prosumer unit - by which I mean it can be a tool for a professional and an enthusiast and is robust enough to take serious use.  The battery it uses has more capacity, and one can get a battery grip for it double capacity, and a set of controls for portrait work.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I don't think his goals are any different than mine at all. I aspire to do photography as a profession one day, but until then I need to learn the craft with affordable gear. Landscapes are what I enjoy and what the OP wants to do also. Get good glass is the advice from all the pros. Even a mediocre body will produce excellent results with top of the line glass. Plus, budgets can sometimes be overstated. 

Wildlife is also awesome! Shot this guy with my 6D Mark II and a 80-200mm f/2.8L "Magic Drainpipe" last week. Learn the craft with affordable gear, and frankly I wouldn't consider anything less than L glass if aspiring to go pro. 

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0137.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

James

Current gear: 6D Mark II - EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4L - EF 80-200mm f/2.8L "Magic Drainpipe" - EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There is much truth in your approach.   Personally, I still prefer the R6 over the other bodies you referred to as the OP is likely going to have to start his lens purchases from scratch and I would not recommend going to legacy DSLR lenses as the development potential is all with the R series bodies and RF lenses.  These, in combination, offer a significant step up in potential as the RF lenses offer better compatibility with the IBIS of the R6 bodies, something the RP does not offer and is pretty due for replacement - some would argue it already has been replaced by the R8, for example.  I will make the observation that going pro is not as easy as many image and I would hate to have to do it these days - too many people are competing for those slots.  I am glad I started my career many years ago! {:-)

Your contribution and approach will provide Nithun with another perspective, absolutely, but I will say that in the end, I take a budget as fixed unless specifically told it is flexible.   I have seen too many people blow a lot of money on upgrading and being disappointed afterwards.

cheers, TREVOR

Case in point.. I got my 6D Mark II for $700 from someone who had dreams and aspirations at one time that ended up sitting on a shelf with a shutter count under 100. I'll have no problem getting my investment back if another upgrade is in the cards or if life goes another direction altogether and my gear finds a new home. 

I'm sure the OP will choose what's best for him and roll with it. 

James

Exactly!  All we can do is offer our best advice and (for me) to put myself in their position as best I can according to their expresses wishes and limitations.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements