cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendation on upgrading my Rebel T7 to R6 or EOS 5DMarkIV

Nithun12
Contributor

I currently have Rebel T7 with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Lenses and planning on upgrading to some bigger camera. I once used EOS 5DMark IV, loved it. At first i was in a impression of getting it but after doing some research i came to know about R6. Now i am in a confusion which one i need to get.

My current usage is mostly for personal use, Landscapes etc. (Not professional) 

I know R6 is latest product with mirrorless, but also 5D is very good. totally confused on what to get. Please advice.

If i choose R6, can i use my existing EF/EFs lens with an adaptor? wil there be any difference? are these lens enough for now or need to get any new lens?

-Nithun 

43 REPLIES 43

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

If i am not able to use the existing lens, i am fine with it. no compulsion on using them. 

For opting a new camera, do you think getting R6 is better to 5D. Considering recent reviews and youtube videos many were suggesting to go for R6. Also it is mentioned that R6 would be great even for the professional use.

If getting R6, what lens do you suggest on getting for use? Is RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM good?

Thanks, Nithun   

Hi Nithun:
Much depends on what you are going to produce.  The R5 is a much more expensive camera and while it has many more MP, that is not the full story.  For general use, i.e not producing large, detailed prints, then the 20MP of the R6, or 24MP of the R6MkII is absolutely fine.  Most social media sites will downgrade images in any case, for example.
The R6 has about 1 stop more dynamic range than the R5 - which I have experienced myself, as I have both it and a couple of R6 units as backups,and have tested them to confirm results from the You Tube comparison by Cameralabs.  That means you can shoot in about half the amount of light for a given set of conditions.
If you can afford it, go the the R6MkII for that extra 4MP, but if you can't afford it, then the R6MkI would do fine too.

If you want a good range in one unit then I stick to my suggestion of the RF 24-140 IS STM unit.  I purchased the expensive 24-105L f/4 unit and was surprised to see that the 24-240 was just as good in terms of image quality, but with a much wider range, and that will neatly give you the best of both worlds that you would have achieved with the two lenses you have.  There is a YouTube video comparing the 24-105 STM, L version against the 24-240, and my tests concur with the results indicated.
Yes, I have used the R6 units as backups for my R5 for assignments.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Further to my comments on the lens, I tested the 24-240 on the more demanding 45MP sensor of the EOS R5 in the following post: Testing the 24-240 on the R5  at the bottom of that post you will see links to Gordan Liang of Cameralbs reviews on the lens and comparisons I referred to.

For your reference HERE is an article evaluating the RF 24-240, and even comparing it to the RF 24-105 units.

THIS is Gordon Laing's You Tube evaluation of the unit: so much higher in images.

Finally HERE is the definitive review, in depth by Dustin Abbott.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Nithun12,

What is your actual budget?  $2500, $3500?  It would be helpful to know this.  Considering what you have expressed interest in (ballpark wise) I agree with Trevor.  I'd recommend the R62 over the 5D4 and R6.  The 5D4 is a very nice camera.  It was and is one of the nicest camera Canon ever made.  However, mirrorless technology has eclipsed DSLR. 

In regards to the R6...  The R62 does everything the R6 did better.  It has Canon's latest software features / enhancements, focus breathing correction and 4 additional MP's.  MP's aren't everything, but it can give you some additional crop ability during post processing.  The price difference is small enough making the R62 the better choice.  

You've made the decision to upgrade.  Sometimes these decisions come with additional expense.  In this case it will be lenses.  New camera, new adventures.  Its time to retire the T7 and your existing lenses.  It will make a friend's son or daughter very happy.  

Another option for you (still mirrorless) is the R7.  This could fit a tighter budget and leave room for 1-2 lenses.  Once you establish a budget and tell us the type of photography you enjoy most (wildlife, landscapes, portraits?), we will be able to advise better.  Each sensor has different strengths depending on use.  Lets us know and we'll help you decide.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"and 4 additional MP's.  MP's aren't everything, but it can give you some additional crop ability during post processing"

It's an entirely new sensor. In the R6 Mark II, I read they improved the AA filter, and the Digic X processor works in tandem with it for a sharper picture. Not much difference between 20MP and 24MP, but the technology of the sensor has advanced.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority
  • My current usage is mostly for personal use, Landscapes etc. (Not professional)  

I would look into the R6 Mark II. DSLR cameras are being replaced by mirrorless cameras. Do you have a budget in mind for a body only or a kit (body + lens). Instead of just giving us a ball park of potential cameras.

• I know R6 is latest product with mirrorless, but also 5D is very good. totally confused on what to get. Please advice.

The R6 Mark II would be the best for going forward. The RF Mount is the future not the EF Mount. Now the 5D Mark IV is a great camera don't get me wrong. But the technology has been replaced by a mirrorless counterpart the R5.

• If I choose R6, can I use my existing EF/EFs lens with an adaptor? will there be any difference? are these lens enough for now or need to get any new lens?

Yes you can use your existing lenses via the EF-RF Mount adapter. But be mindful that if you use EF-S or RF-S (APS-C) lenses that your megapixels will down by a factor of 2.5 because of the APS-C image circle. The R6 Mark II will only have 9.6 megapixels in APS-C (1.6x) crop mode. As @Tronhard pointed out the EF 75-300mm lens lineup doesn't have the best optics. You'll see a lot of imperfections of the lens in your picture (lens flare, ghosting, chromatic aberrations). An image sensor in a digital camera resolves better than 35mm film. You won't see a lot of these imperfections on 35mm film. Even when the first EF 75-300mm came out it was know for its poor optics back in the film days.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Nithun12
Contributor

My current budget is around $3000 which includes couple lens for my daily use (one short lens for portraits, second for zoom)  

I think, considering my budget R6MI is the choice i have. Since its also a great camera, It should fulfil my requirement. If so, I was thinking of my first lens as " RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM" what do you guys suggest? What is the other lens i need to opt ?

-Nithun 

Is low light a concern of yours then I would NOT recommend the RF 24-105mm F/4-7.1 IS STM lens. Since this lens has a slow aperture which impacts AF and how clean the image will be. I would look into the higher end RF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM. Since you mentioned portraits will these be inside or outside. If your shooting in low light I would recommend using a speedlite if you don't already have one. Since this camera doesn't have a built in flash. How long of a telephoto do you need. Canon offers multiple telephoto lenses. What focal lengths do you use the most with your current telephoto zoom lens. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

For Portraits - both inside and outdoor

Yes, i have a plan on buying speedlight.

For telephoto - Its a drastic change for me from T7 to R6 and do not have much idea on this requirement. but i wanted to have one so that i can start something with for my landscapes, long distance objects, etc. I wanted to learn and practice more towards professional photography thus, I need something which can help me in taking some professional level photos. 

-Nithun  

I would look into the RF 24-70mm F/2.8L IS USM or the RF 28-70mm F/2USM for the purposes of low light shooting. The smaller the F/# the more light the lens lets in. While the RF 24-105mm F/4-7.1 IS STM looks is a nice lens. The lens has a variable meaning the more you zoom in the less light enters the camera. The lenses I listed above are called "standard zoom" lenses. As for telephoto look into the RF 70-200mm F/2.8IS USM or the RF 70-200mm F/4IS USM lenses. Do you need a recommendation a speedlite too? The trinity of lenses are the RF 15-35mm F/2.8IS USMRF 24-70mm F/2.8IS USM, RF 70-200mm F/2.8IS USM. All of which lenses have fast F/2.8 apertures for low light which makes cleaner pictures and helps the AF system.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements