cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendation on upgrading my Rebel T7 to R6 or EOS 5DMarkIV

Nithun12
Contributor

I currently have Rebel T7 with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Lenses and planning on upgrading to some bigger camera. I once used EOS 5DMark IV, loved it. At first i was in a impression of getting it but after doing some research i came to know about R6. Now i am in a confusion which one i need to get.

My current usage is mostly for personal use, Landscapes etc. (Not professional) 

I know R6 is latest product with mirrorless, but also 5D is very good. totally confused on what to get. Please advice.

If i choose R6, can i use my existing EF/EFs lens with an adaptor? wil there be any difference? are these lens enough for now or need to get any new lens?

-Nithun 

43 REPLIES 43

That's a 6D II, right? Because there's two 6Ds on my local craigslist for under $400.

FWIW, I agree with Tronhard - go with mirrorless. I shoot mainly wildlife and the new AF systems are an absolute game changer. Even for casual use it's a game changer. I've recently switched from DSLR and couldn't go back now. The hardest part of the switch was going from an optical viewfinder to an EVF, but I'm used to it now. Also, the RF glass is pretty amazing. Even the lower end stuff is sharp and light.

Yes, a 6D Mark II. Changed post to reflect. 

James

Current gear: 6D Mark II - EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4L - EF 80-200mm f/2.8L "Magic Drainpipe" - EF 50mm 1.4 USM
Past gear: T4i, T6i, 750D, 5D Mark II

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I still have a massive amount of DSLR gear going back 22 years, (my gear list is in Settings, Personal Info area) and one can take great photos with any of them, and I still enjoy using them.  That said, the new tech certainly makes getting results easier and I use the latest tech for my work.   I use three R-series bodies: one R5 and two R6 units.  I can say that these units offer a massive increase in potential, especially when used with RF lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Nithun12
Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Considering my budget and requirement. I was thinking on going for R6 with 35mm f1.8 IS Macro (use for daily half and full length portraits, landscapes ) 

For second lens, i was thinking on getting  RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM. (RF24–105mm F4 L IS USM is kind of expensive for now. even the refurbished one is expensive. will get it in the future.) 

-Nithun 

I am glad you have come to a resolution and wish you well with your endeavours! 😊

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor 

Nithun12
Contributor

Change of plans on my lens. Along with R6 i opted for RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM. I felt rather than opting for my initial choice, this would be better considering reviews (although its expensive). 

Per most of the YouTube videos and reviews many suggested that this is a great lens which is used in most cases. I saw many saying that 90% of their content is being done using this lens. Thus, got this one for now to meet my current requirements. Was it a good decision?

-Nithun 

I think you'll enjoy that lens.  It has a constant aperture (which is my personal requirement for any zoom lens; really don't like variable aperature at all).

f/4 is a good general aperture for video work.  Not the best for dimly lit areas, but if you have ample lighting, should do quite well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I heard this is also good for photos like landscapes and portraits.

what is good flashlight to choose for R6?

-Nithun  

Do you have a budget for a speedlite if so how much. I have only used Canon's speedlites.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements