cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"spots" on image -

Saluki
Enthusiast

Purchased a 30D back in December. Have been very satisfied with the photos, using both 18-135 and a 70-300 lenses.  However I noticed a couple of "spots" on some images - using either lens - mostly showing up with a solid background - like open sky. The spots are consistent  and in same place (see photos). I can easily remove them when they appear, but they do become troublesome. Suggestions?#Img_1009.jpg#Img_1416.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, you image sensor is dirty.  It could simply be dust, which can be easily blown away with a special bulb blower.  Beware of cheap knock-off brands because they bulb can contain dirt and blow it inside of your camera.9FDE623F-7F7D-4764-8B04-A02D76E8C4FA.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The sensor is dirty. It needs to be cleaned. I advise first timers to let someone that knows how to clean it the first time. So, a local camera shop might be of help. Or, a local photo club. Being adventurous watch a youtube vid and learn how yourself.

Canon is the best  place to send it but I doubt they work on the 30D any longer. You might ask.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Saluki
Enthusiast

Thanks.

Yes, you image sensor is dirty.  It could simply be dust, which can be easily blown away with a special bulb blower.  Beware of cheap knock-off brands because they bulb can contain dirt and blow it inside of your camera.9FDE623F-7F7D-4764-8B04-A02D76E8C4FA.jpeg

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

5 cleaning options from simple to bit harder.  the sensor has a piece of UV glass so it's not as delicate as people think.

1) blower - loosely bound dust loosened with blast of air $10ish

2) dry - sensor brush, won't budge with blower and lightly swipe with sensor brush (do not touch bristles) to loosen dust of sensor with 1-2 passes $20ish

3) sticky - sensor stamp, uses sticky material to remove more sticky dust (do not touch stamping surface), stamp few times across sensor, over time, the stamp will get dirty and needs to be replaced $15ish

4) wet - sensor wipe/cleaning fluid to loosen embedded dust particles (this is what canon/camera shops do) $15ish for kit, 1 wet pass and 1 dry pass (what i usually do).  I'll use the dry sensor wipe to then clean the mirror.

5) canon repair - out of warranty cleaning/inspection $50 + shipping

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hmmm. I have a squeeze bulb but have only used it a couple of times in four years. I squeezed it a couple of times before using it. Glad I did. Interesting thread and posts. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

It does not hurt to check it and be sure the inside is clean before using it.  

Mine has not seen much use recently, either.  I do most of my shooting in parks and at sporting events.

Announcements