cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone camera vs T3i

Raycyrx
Contributor

So I own a T3i and have been happy with it... until my latest phone.  Frankly my phone (Galaxy S22) is quite stunning in its results... especially for video.  Now knowing that my phone is essentially many generations of processing newer than my T3i, I have to ask if the latest Rebels have made the same leaps in technology and therefore if it's worth upgrading bodies?

Helpful comments please.

21 REPLIES 21

In the interest of not starting completely over with all new body and lenses... will my current lenses mount up to the R7 or r10?

I take your comments on my 100-300 very seriously.

All of your lenses can be mounted on the R7 and R10 using Canon's EF-RF adapter.  I have used one for my EF lenses on the R5 and R6 with no issues.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'm curious about lens recommendations.  My 18-135 is a fine general use lens.  I've found your comments about the 70-300 to replace my 100-300 to be very interesting.  But if I went the way of an R7 with an adapter, would you still recommend the same 70-300 or a different lens made more for the R7?

If you were to to the RF mount, then there is a good RF 100-400 unit available, it will be more expensive and you can't use it on your DSLR if you retain that too.  Usually it is best to use the native lenses for a camera type, so the RF100-400 would be that solution.  The EF 70-300 will be cheaper, and fit both systems - the RF by and EF-RF adapter - and that works fine, but you will get the best performance with the native RF unit.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try not to make this as hard as the replies tend to try. Bottom line is, use what gets the job done for you. If it your iphone, fine, if it's a new camera, great! There is no doubt phone cameras have come a long way perhaps even faster than dedicated cameras.

Wedding, you guessed it, iPhone 13. 😁

lindsey.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

You have a phone that takes great photos and surprisingly good video. Unless you have substantial money to invest in gear, and you consider yourself a real enthusiast or enthusiast-to-be, stick with the phone. 

Flagship-level smartphones with their excellent and rapidly advancing photo capabilities have done to DSLRs what they have done to standalone GPSes -- they have decimated the market, and for good reason. For most people, they produce beautiful and excellent results, and you already have the phone. Enjoy it 

I hear what you're saying.  But as an old 35mm DSLR convert, I get frustrated with a phone's ability to zoom.  I have defaulted to my phone for almost all videos, but for good mid-range to long telephoto, it simply doesn't compete with my DSLR.

Add in specialty shots/exposures, fooling around in the pro-mode on my phone CAN produce some quite good results, but it just doesn't have the flexibility of what my DSLR can do (especially with a long lens).  

Again, I already own a DSLR... my question is, has the processing capability advanced as much as the processing capability of phones, and therefore, is it worth my time/expense to replace my DSLR?

@Raycyrx wrote:

Again, I already own a DSLR... my question is, has the processing capability advanced as much as the processing capability of phones, and therefore, is it worth my time/expense to replace my DSLR?

Processing capability? No, your smartphone's processing capability blows away a DSLR. 

However, I don't advise anyone to replace a DSLR with another DSLR. I would be looking at mirrorless. Best of luck, whatever you decide. 

I think it's a bit moot to discuss the processing power of cameras as it really sounds like you have use cases that cannot be handled by your smart phone.  If that's truly the case, then either stick with your current DSLR, or look to replace it (the recommended system being mirrorless).

Anything recent will indeed be faster than your DSLR.  It can potentially also work with faster media.   But, I would focus upon if feature-wise it will be a better fit for your needs and empower you to capture those images where your smart phone falls short.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"So I own a T3i and have been happy with it... until my latest phone.  Frankly my phone (Galaxy S22) is quite stunning in its results... especially for video.  Now knowing that my phone is essentially many generations of processing newer than my T3i, I have to ask if the latest Rebels have made the same leaps in technology and therefore if it's worth upgrading bodies?"

Most of what has been posted is just fluff. Sideline stuff. Judging by your first statement a T8i is going to be a huge upgrade if you are interested in a new Rebel camera. You need to decide if the vastly improved iphone camera is doing the job. For a lot of people these days they are totally happy using the iphone as a camera.

As to choosing between the Rebel T8i or the 80D/90D consider this, you have an old camera now, the T3i, so why buy another old camera, the 80D? Newer tech is always going to be the best buy. And, keeping with that same line of reasoning, why buy any DSLR when it is a dead end all together? The logical replacement is one of the new mirrorless cameras. 

That said, if I were buying today I would buy the 90D along with a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens and not look back. This combo is about as good as any combo on the market today. It will stay that way for some time to come, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements