cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone camera vs T3i

Raycyrx
Contributor

So I own a T3i and have been happy with it... until my latest phone.  Frankly my phone (Galaxy S22) is quite stunning in its results... especially for video.  Now knowing that my phone is essentially many generations of processing newer than my T3i, I have to ask if the latest Rebels have made the same leaps in technology and therefore if it's worth upgrading bodies?

Helpful comments please.

21 REPLIES 21

@ebiggs1 wrote:

As to choosing between the Rebel T8i or the 80D/90D consider this, you have an old camera now, the T3i, so why buy another old camera, the 80D? Newer tech is always going to be the best buy. And, keeping with that same line of reasoning, why buy any DSLR when it is a dead end all together? The logical replacement is one of the new mirrorless cameras. 

Ernie has it right. There is no point in spending money on dead tech. By dead I don't mean that it doesn't function. I mean that the day of the DSLR is basically over. That is the same conclusion I came to back when I bought my entry-level full frame EOS RP. I accomplished two goals at once -- I took the leap into mirrorless AND full frame. Not a single regret as it was a massive step up from my T6.  I got the camera and kit lens for $999 on sale at that time. I say get a Canon mirrorless rather than a mid-level DSLR and you won't be dealing with buyer's regret in six months. 

Both you and John_SD make good points.  To be honest, I hadn't considered mirrorless before I started this topic, and have since become educated.  But there is a major reason that mirrorless would not be a best solution here and that is cost.  Just doing quick comparisons of T8i to R7 and I'd be looking at double the cost for an R7.  Add on the cost of a lens adapter... and it would seem like I'm starting all over.

I'm certainly intrigued by the statement that a T8i would be a huge improvement over what I currently own.  Add in my age and the amount of shooting left in my life and I'm not sure the starting all over approach can be justified.

Thank you for your comments.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements