cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my canon EOS 1100D is not taking photos in automatic focus mode.

katharine
Apprentice

my canon EOS 1100D is not takin photos in A.F mode. When i press the shutter it does not automatically focus (like it normally does) and will not take a photo. It will take photos in manual focus mode but, again, it can not focus in that mode either.

I had this problem about 4 years ago and because i didnt know how to rectify the problem I ended up sending it off to Canon UK to repair.

In an attempt to rectify the problem I have re-set the camera to orginal settings.

Please can you help?

katharine

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens? Do you have another to try?

Thank you for your response. Its a EFS 18-55mm.  Unfortunately i dont have another lens to try.

check that the MF/AF switch on the lens hasn't been displaced from the AF setting. Slide it back and forth and then set to AF.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@katharine wrote:

Thank you for your response. Its a EFS 18-55mm.  Unfortunately i dont have another lens to try.

Some versions of that lens will freeze up if you try to focus it manually while it's in AF mode. There's a rather brutal way to force it loose that often seems to work. It's been described a couple of times in this forum. I couldn't tell you exactly where; but several of the regulars have better memories than I do, and one of them will surely come up with it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@katharine wrote:

Some versions of that lens will freeze up if you try to focus it manually while it's in AF mode. There's a rather brutal way to force it loose that often seems to work. It's been described a couple of times in this forum. I couldn't tell you exactly where; but several of the regulars have better memories than I do, and one of them will surely come up with it.

Look at the #3 post from Canon Product Expert Julius.  Julius describes how to re-seat the AF motors, assuming that is your issue.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138173#M5481

Read through the entire thread, too.  The procedure Julius describes doesn't work for some people.  Be sure that your lens is showing the EXACT same symptoms, otherwise you may damage your lens.  However, if your lens is already damaged, then you really have little to lose.

I think the most common cause for this specific type of lens damage comes from users accidentally turning the focus ring, when their intent is to turn the zoom ring.  The lens lacks manual focus override, so turning the focus ring when the AF/MF switch is in the AF position can unseat the focusing motors. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh my goodness. I pushed the AF/MF back and forth as recommended and its working again!!! thank you so much. You are amazing!

Announcements