cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eos700d file numbering

GRAHAM1
Apprentice

Is it possible to include the shooting date in the image file number?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Not in camera, but you can if you download files using EOS Utility, which came with your camera.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Had-a-PowerShot-SX-150-Is-there-a-way-I-can-set-new-rebe...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks jrhoffman75.  

Didn't think of that because I usually pop the SD card and copy from there which doesn't open the EOS Utility (I tend to misplace the USB lead for the camera).

Graham

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you are in a Windows PC you could configure card reader AutoPlay to open EOS Utility.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John. I use Mac but you got me thinking. I have been told that whatever Windows can do, Mac did first and better (??!!), I searched and found a thing called Automator which can do the same and have been able to insert the shooting date into the filenames.
Thanks again,
Graham. Bolton, England

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@GRAHAM1 wrote:

Is it possible to include the shooting date in the image file number?

I have used computers for decades.  There is a simple rule of thumb to use when it comes to naming files and directory/folder/path names where you store the files.  It goes like this.

If the folder path name, combined with the filename, does not tell you what is in the file, then you need to re-think the way you name files, folders, and sub-folders

In other words, if you must open a file to figure out what is inside of it, then what you are doing is falling shor to the mark, and you need to re-think your naming strategy.  It is better to use sub-folders, just like you would with an actual filing cabinet, than it is to throw everything into a single folder within your filing cabinet.  For example.....

File_Naming_Conventions.PNG

This is the folder that contains the second set of panorama shots that I took on the indicated date.  The "PAN02" folder is a subfoder containing JPEG files.  The immediate parent folder, 2015_10_06, is the date that I shot the images, and it contains only the RAW files downloaded from the camera. 

I created this sub-folder , PAN02, of JPEG files using a batch file process with Canon's DPP software.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Nice method, I'll give it a go and see how it suits. I'm a bit untidy about where images end up. I keep folders named with where taken but I might have a copy of a particular pic in another folder, like LongExposure or DreamMachines. Date of shooting in the file name lets me search and locate where a pic was snapped.
Cheers, Graham
Announcements