cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom settings - Canon EOS R

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

I have set one of the custom settings for bird photography. During the shoot the light was fading so I increased the ISO to 800 (it was stored at 400). After a short while and with the camera always switched on and always on the same custom setting, the ISO reverted to the saved 400, and each time I had to change it back in the Q menu. With my 7D the settings only reverted to the saved values after switching off the camera or coming out of the custom setting. Any thoughts on how I can get around this annoying problem?

4 REPLIES 4

Pollygrafx
Apprentice

I had a similar problem with my new R5 (coming over from Nikon and terrified).... There is a setting in orange tab #1, 3rd item down, 'Speed from metering/ISO Auto'. Set this to 'Retain speed after metering'. Voilá! Drove me crazy the first day out.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Isn’t [putting] the camera into a known custom state the point of using a Custom [Shooting Mode]?  If you want to make temporary changes that are retained, then just use one of the standard Creative Shooting Modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Generally there is a physical switch to turn the camera off, but also a timer based Auto Power Off software switch. You can enable a longer delay time in the Menu. There is a setting to disable/enable updates to Custom Settings if you change camera settings, if enabled it is “permanent” and creates a new setting. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Generally there is a physical switch to turn the camera off, but also a timer based Auto Power Off software switch. You can enable a longer delay time in the Menu. There is a setting to disable/enable updates to Custom Settings if you change camera settings, if enabled it is “permanent” and creates a new setting. 

In my DSLRs, when the Metering Timer expires is when everything in a Custom Shooting Mode gets reset back to its custom defaults.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements