cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corrupt image file

ricosurfcat
Contributor

I have had a few corrupt images captured with my Canon EOS 5D Mark 3. The images are shot in raw and recorded on a Sandisk extreme 32 gb CF card that I format in the camera after each use. After importing into Adobe Photoshop Lightroom they look like this. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.IMG_9213.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your card may not have the right specs for the camera.  I suggest that you contact Canon support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call Sandisk.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Depending upon where you bought your card it may not be a real Sandisk card but instead a low quality counterfeit.  I got a couple of counterfeit Sandisk extreme SD cards from a very large online retailer two years ago and they definitely weren't "Prime" quality 😞 

I returned them and purchased new cards from B&H which were the genuine article.

Counterfeit memory cards are very common so be careful where you buy.  Even more simple stuff like "coin cell" batteries are also often poor quality counterfeit so be careful when buying stuff, particularly online.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It looks like a bad memory card.  (I can’t be sure).

Back in the film days if you sent your film to be processed at a lab... you learned which labs were reliable... and which were not.

In digital... it’s the memory cards.   You want a reliable memory card.  It isn’t enough to just get the brand with a good reputation... you need to buy it from a seller with a good reputation so you don’t have to worry about counterfeit cards.

A few decades ago, I used to be an avid scuba diver.  I once had a regulator “freeze” on me at depth (fortunately my dive buddy was close).  I learned QUICKLY, that there are some things in life for which you should not be shopping for the best bargain.

To be fair... “lives” are not on the line when it comes to memory cards... so it’s not quite the same severity has having a diving regulator fail when you’re 100+ feet down.  But you get the idea... it doesn’t matter how good your camera is nor how awesome your photography skills are... when your memory card fails.  I don’t bargain shop for SCUBA regulators... I also don’t bargain shop for memory cards.

It is “possible” that this is actually a camera problem... but most of the time this turns out to be a memory card problem.

Before sending the camera for service... get a reputable quality card (e.g. SanDisk or Lexar, etc.) and get it from a reliable dealer.  Avoid buying from 3rd parties on the internet (which includes Amazon “marketplace” sellers).  Test a card you can trust from a dealer you can trust.  If you still have a problem... it’s time to send the camera in to have it checked.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim
Authority

Hello ricosurfcat, 

I understand that this is affecting your image quality on this camera.  As some other folks have suggested, you may wish to try a completely different memory card first.  That would be your first line of defense with an issue like this.  If you replace the card and the issue still persists, then at that point you may wish to consider setting up service for this camera. 

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements