cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon R7 viewfinder display

CTSDesigns
Apprentice

Does anyone have information on the different colors (green, red, blue) that appear in the R7 viewfinder as you try to focus and zoom in/out?  It has come up a couple times when I zoom out that the colors inside the viewfinder change and will not allow the shutter button to be depressed to take a photo.  I know the green is ok (photo taken) but I am trying to figure out the red and blue so I know why the camera is doing it so I can correct as they come up.  I thought the color change dealt with the range to the subject from one thing I read, but not sure.  Any thoughts or links would be helpful.

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I assume  you mean the rectangle that indicates focus.  Red indicates that there is no focus happening, or that focus has been lost, Green usually means that a focus has been locked on a static object, and blue a dynamic one - servo AF.  As you zoom in and out the relationship between the camera's focusing system and a subject may change, impacting the focus.  See THIS LINK from Canon's knowledge base

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you. Thought as much, but as I am still learning what this can do, and it’s tough finding a manual (so I’ve heard) figured I’d ask hear. Loving what the R7 can do, already helped my little startup grow a bit with sone local friends, swimmers, and cyclists. 

Do you not have the official manual?  You can download it from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Not that tough to find manual. Just Google EOS R7 manual.

cam.start.canon : For customers using the EOS R7

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it's easy to ask for specific issues, but with the camera you should either have got a hardcopy of the manual, or some kind of link, QR code or whatever, so you can access a soft copy of the document.  It should be your absolute first go-to spot for anything to do with your camera.  While actually reading the manual many sound too laborious, it's amazing what you will learn that will give you more capability with the camera.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements