cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken viewfinder glass on new EOS R6 Mk2

artvega
Contributor

The little piece of glass on the eyeview cupfinder got broken the first time I used my new EOS R6 Mk2 (I got it last November but I just used it a couple of weeks ago outdoors). I don't know how it got broken, but obviously must have been hit slightly with something. Therefore, I doubt this would be covered by the warranty. So, I went ahead and ordered the little piece of glass to replace the broken one, but I'm unsure if removing the eyeview cup would have any impact on the warranty? and I just tried slightly with a set of small screwdriver heads that I've got but they don't seem to fit.

So, other than the question about warranty (could it be covered? and would removing the eyecup and putting it back affect the warranty)? and does anybody have the exact measure for the screwdriver head that must be used?

IMG_5400 2 Medium.jpeg

Thanks for any help!

/Art

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You need to have your camera tested and repaired by Canon.  The broken viewfinder may not be the only physical damage to the camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

artvega
Contributor

I kept using the camera over that weekend and there was no other damage. Everything works fine. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We understand the damage appears to be somewhat cosmetic, but the camera would have had to experience a fairly substantial bump for the lens on the viewfinder to crack.  There is also a sensor below which needs to function properly so the LCD turns on and off correctly.  It's a very nice camera, we're only going to recommend what's best to keep it functioning at its best.  Having it professionally repaired is up to you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

artvega
Contributor

Thanks. I was leaning towards fixing it myself since it really looks like it is only the little glass that broke, the sensor works perfectly fine and everything else works perfect as well. But I think I will rather send it to Canon for repair.

@artvega wrote:

Thanks. I was leaning towards fixing it myself since it really looks like it is only the little glass that broke, the sensor works perfectly fine and everything else works perfect as well. But I think I will rather send it to Canon for repair.

Canon should do a complete and thorough checkout for you.  Engineers love to look at things that are broken because they want to know why it broke.  

Finding just the one piece of glass would be like finding a needle in a haystack.  Electronics manufacturers stopped carrying inventory for every little piece and part in their products decades ago.

One, products have become far more complex and the parts count as increased almost exponentially.  Maintaining a large inventory of parts that may not ever be used is not cost effective.

Two, performing repairs at the individual component level is not cost effective for either the customer or the manufacturer’s. The labor involved with disassembling a product, testing and troubleshooting individual board components, and re-assembling a product is very time consuming and costly.

Electronics manufacturers only stock complete sub-assemblies for their products whenever possible.  The current practice of stocking sub-assemblies for repairs has been used in the auto industry for decades.  Replacing a headlight assembly is a good example.

Repairing the viewfinder glass or diopter could involve replacing much of the entire top assembly of the camera, and not just eyepiece assembly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sanlynb
Apprentice

Can I ask how your repair went and how long it took? I had the exact same issue and there was no impact to my camera. I always hold it when it’s out of the camera bag and it’s stored in a padded camera bag separated from anything so doesn’t make sense how this happened. Purchased fall 2022 also. 

donalohagan
Apprentice

Can I ask what you did with your cracked viewfinder?  I have exactly that problem and I see I can buy the glass for about $15 but I'm not sure it's a job I can do myself.

Thanks 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Professional inspection and repair from Canon will cost a bit more than $15.  If you have a CarePak, all you are out is shipping.  Log into MyCanon and set up the repair.  You'll be given an estimate for the repair  at that time.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

General comment regarding Japanese products (not just cameras).

"I just tried slightly with a set of small screwdriver heads that I've got but they don't seem to fit."

Many products use JIS design cross-head screws. They look like US Phillips head but hey are slightly different. The interior angle of the cross-slots is different. Using a Phillips head screwdriver in a JIS screw frequently results in damage to the head. (Learned all of this when I started working on a Honda motorcycle.)

Larger screw heads sometimes have a indented dimple on the head denoting JIS.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements