cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all white photo with 430 EX flash

vmark59
Apprentice

Hello:

I just bought a used Speedlite 430 EX to go with my 60D. I took some test shots just to learn how to use the flash. Everything was fine, but now, if I take a picture using the flash, I get a blank white photo. I turned everything on and off several times, reformatted cards, took battery in and out. Same problem. If I turn the flash off or use the on camera flash, everything's back to normal. Also, on the camera's display screen, the Menu doesn't go away unless I review photos, then it comes right back. I have a paying gig today, so any help, FAST, is most appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The white photo is due to severe over-exposure. Try the camera in full auto mode instead of manual or semi-manual and let it choose shutter and aperture settings with the flash.

Make sure that the flash is fully seated all the way forward in the hot shoe.  It will click into place and then the locking ring is used to mechanically stabiliize it.  If the flash isn't fully seated forward it will create some very odd camera errors.  Release the lock, remove and carefully slide fully back into place.

I am not familiar with your camera but make sure that the flash menu setting is set for E-TTL II and you probably want to use evaluative metering until you have a chance to become familiar with flash exposure compensation.

Good luck!

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

diverhank
Authority
Do you get the 'white photo" all the time with the flash or only outdoor? If you get the white photo all the time, then a possible cause is that your flash is stuck at outputting full power. As someone suggested, put the camera to A+ mode and take a shot. If it's still all white then it's the flash problem. You will need to get it fixed. If it only happens when you are outdoor in brighter light, it's possible that at 1/200 shutter speed, you've got too much light. Just make sure the flash High Speed Sync mode is turned on. This would solve the problem unless the problem is that the flash is stuck at full power.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:
Do you get the 'white photo" all the time with the flash or only outdoor? If you get the white photo all the time, then a possible cause is that your flash is stuck at outputting full power. As someone suggested, put the camera to A+ mode and take a shot. If it's still all white then it's the flash problem. You will need to get it fixed. If it only happens when you are outdoor in brighter light, it's possible that at 1/200 shutter speed, you've got too much light. Just make sure the flash High Speed Sync mode is turned on. This would solve the problem unless the problem is that the flash is stuck at full power.

To expand on Hank's point: If you're using flash and set the shutter speed to be faster than the sync speed, at least some Canon cameras will automatically reduce the shutter speed to the sync speed, which can result in significant overexposure outdoors in bright light.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

6 REPLIES 6

vmark59
Apprentice

I cleared all camera settings. Now the only prolbem is the white images when using the speedlite. Without it, everything is back to normal.

The white photo is due to severe over-exposure. Try the camera in full auto mode instead of manual or semi-manual and let it choose shutter and aperture settings with the flash.

Make sure that the flash is fully seated all the way forward in the hot shoe.  It will click into place and then the locking ring is used to mechanically stabiliize it.  If the flash isn't fully seated forward it will create some very odd camera errors.  Release the lock, remove and carefully slide fully back into place.

I am not familiar with your camera but make sure that the flash menu setting is set for E-TTL II and you probably want to use evaluative metering until you have a chance to become familiar with flash exposure compensation.

Good luck!

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@vmark59 wrote:

Hello:

I just bought a used Speedlite 430 EX to go with my 60D. I took some test shots just to learn how to use the flash. Everything was fine, but now, if I take a picture using the flash, I get a blank white photo. I turned everything on and off several times, reformatted cards, took battery in and out. Same problem. If I turn the flash off or use the on camera flash, everything's back to normal. Also, on the camera's display screen, the Menu doesn't go away unless I review photos, then it comes right back. I have a paying gig today, so any help, FAST, is most appreciated.

One cause of that effect is using a flash set to TTL on a camera that expects ETTL.

Bob

diverhank
Authority
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

To expand on Hank's point: If you're using flash and set the shutter speed to be faster than the sync speed, at least some Canon cameras will automatically reduce the shutter speed to the sync speed, which can result in significant overexposure outdoors in bright light.

Bob

Looks like the problem is solved. I tried full auto and that worked. I also tried reducing ISO and manually reducing the power level. After a few tries, I got a good shot. THANKS.

Announcements