cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i set rebel t5 so pics end up 6mp?

suepatten
Apprentice

im new to the rebel t5 but i love it. ive always had point and shoots, so this is different. i post on a few sites and they say the pic must be at least 6 mega pixels, how do i set the camera for that? thank you

6 REPLIES 6

ezpop
Rising Star

image size can be selected, please see p84,85 of the manualcapture-20150117-143505.png

ezpop
Rising Star

and here

capture-20150117-143735.png

Setting the camera to take a lower-res picture will do it, but you are giving up resolution you might want for cropping the photo in.

A better way is to go ahead and shoot in the highest quality largest files, but then create a smaller copy of it on the computer. In Lightroom, for example, you just tell the program what size you want as you export/save it. You still have the full size file, and you have simply made a small copy for the website.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@suepatten wrote:

im new to the rebel t5 but i love it. ive always had point and shoots, so this is different. i post on a few sites and they say the pic must be at least 6 mega pixels, how do i set the camera for that? thank you

The camera is natively 18 megapixels... so if you need "at least 6 mega pixels" then you're covered (your camera shoots triple what you need as a minimum.)

But a somewhat common request on online photo sites is that the pictures not be excessively big.  I use a few sites that request that the image be sized so that it does not exceed 1024 pixels along it's "longest edge".  To do that you would use your photo editing software to export your image in the requested size and that software will resample the image for you.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

The camera is natively 18 megapixels... so if you need "at least 6 mega pixels" then you're covered (your camera shoots triple what you need as a minimum.)

But a somewhat common request on online photo sites is that the pictures not be excessively big.  I use a few sites that request that the image be sized so that it does not exceed 1024 pixels along it's "longest edge".  To do that you would use your photo editing software to export your image in the requested size and that software will resample the image for you.

That is, of course, the simple case, because any decent photo editor will let you set the aspect ratio and then produce a JPEG with a specified number of pixels on the long edge. It's a lot tougher when the specified limit is on the size of the JPEG image file. The only way I know to do it is by trial and error, lowering the resolution and/or the JPEG image quality until the resulting JPEG file falls under the limit. I've heard rumors that there may be photo editors that give you more direct control over the file size, but those I've ever used don't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"how do i set rebel t5 so pics end up 6mp?"  

Do you mean 6mp (mega pixels) or MB (mega bytes)?  There is a great deal of difference between MP and MB.

I always recommend you use the highest settings your camera has to offer.  You do need some post editing program.  Some are free some a pretty cheap.  I recommend Photoshop Elements.  Remember your photos are only 1/2 made in the camera.

With PSE you can change the size settings while you maintain the highest quality settings in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements