cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zooming

Austin1
Apprentice

This is my first nice camera so please excuse the newbie question, is the magnify button a zoom button?  When I try to take a photo and zoom in on something say a specific person in a group, it looks right on the viewfinder but when I snap the photo it is of the whole group.  Any advice is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You did not tell us which camera and lens.

No, it is just a magnification of a portion of the whole image. The only zoom is with the lens itself, in your case probably 18-55 mm.

Of course, you are free to crop the image to match what you saw with the mag button.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Austin1 wrote:

This is my first nice camera so please excuse the newbie question, is the magnify button a zoom button?  When I try to take a photo and zoom in on something say a specific person in a group, it looks right on the viewfinder but when I snap the photo it is of the whole group.  Any advice is appreciated.

The magnify button is just as you experience for magnifying the picture on the display.

If you have a dSLR and a zoom lens, you need to turn one of the grips on the lens to zoom it.

If you have a Powershot camera, there should be a knob or dial near the shutter that you push or pull to zoom.

A third situation is you have a camera with a prime lens, which has no zoom at all, that is unlikely, but, not impossible. 

Austin1
Apprentice

Thank you all, my mistake but I have the Rebel T6 with the 18-55 lens, a macro wide angle and Ibelieve its a 58 telephoto lens that atatches to the 18-55.  Thank you for your help.

zoom.JPGI strongly suggest you read your full manual. Also skip using the wide angle / tele things that screw on the front of the lens. 

EOS REBEL T6 Instruction Manual

Those magnify buttons are primarily used to magnify playback images you have taken, as you view them on the LCD.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This is my first nice camera ..."

This, the T6, is a more advanced camera that you and most people are used to in this era of cell phones. Some things become more user input.  In this case zooming the lens is one.  Although the T6 has the ability to be a P&S, its best will show up if you make some choices for it.  The use of P mode instead of full auto (green square) usually results in a better picture.  Learning what and how to use the Av and Tv modes will add even more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements