cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 8.1 - Driver or Software problem

enj
Apprentice

ATTEMPTING to connect EOS10D to WIN 8.1...

It has been connected and is working fine with WIN XP PRO...

So camera is ok... it is a driver problem...

please see NOTES BELOW...

Please provide previous troubleshooting steps,  or information that can help Canon assist you:

I have done the following:

1. Went to CANON web site for drivers and it said to get drivers from Microsoft? http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_10...

2. Went to Microsoft and downloaded Windows8.1-KB2859675-X64 drivers? when I ran it, it indicated told me ?this update was not applicable for my computer??

http://www.windowsobserver.com/2013/09/25/microsoft-updates-camera-codec-pack-for-windows-8-1/

3.  Then downloaded Windows8.1-KB2859675-X86 drivers? got the same message?

Has anything changed since the unit funtioned properly?

(Installation of software, setting, cabling etc.):

DRIVER PROBLEMS ...

Any help appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Ed

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately you cannot connect the 10D to a Win8 computer. You will need to use a card reader.

The codec is for viewing camera digital RAW files; it is not a driver.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Actually I got the following (see below) from CANON Support...

I already had the latest FirmWare installed on the EOS 10D and when I changed the COMMUNICATION to "PTP" I was able to see the camera in Windows Explorer... I never got the Wizard to recognize it, but all I really needed was to offload files... I use Photoshop or other software to edit pics...

Thanks for your input and hope this helps someone else...

======================CANNON SUPPORT

The EOS 10D is not compatible with Windows 7 or 8 in the normal communication mode.  You can look under the wrench and hammer icon and you will find Communication mode which you will need to change to "PTP" in order to connect using the Windows Camera Wizard.

If you do not have the COMMUNICATION option in your menu then you will need to update your firmware on your EOS 10D.  You can find the latest version along with the installation instructions at this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_10...

Once you have installed that firmware for your EOS 10D you should be able to connect.  There will be a zipped file which will contain the .fir file to load to the CF card of the camera using a USB card reader and a pdf file of the instructions for the installation procedure.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

"... you cannot connect the 10D to a Win8 computer. You will need to use a card reader."

Never-the-less this is the correct answer. It is the easiest way to go. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements